AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after finding a fork,pen,a straw and a plastic bag inside my sub it's time for a new sub! My two year old baby without me knowing put all these item inside the hole of my Energy Take 5 classic system. Some I'm here for advice . I was thinking of replacing just the sub but my Energy speakers are like 8 years old. I also have $400 in store credit at Amazon so that is my spending limit. For my budget I have 4 brands to choose from. Would like your help in deciding what's the best system for my budget. Thanks guys

1. Polk RM705

2. Def techs cinema 60.6

3. Mirage nanosat 5.1

4. Klipsh hd500

5. JBL 300

Or any other system in that price range!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh forgot ! My Receiver is a Pioneer vsx-820-k with a Samsung pdp 51 7000 series and Ps3 as s bluray. My living room is like 11x12 with hugh ceilings. Just a regular set up but want the best bang for the money. I was leaning towards the def tech just reviews

·
Registered
781 Posts
Just throwing in my own experience here.

I have a large room, approx. 13 x 25 with 2 story ceiling, open to the upstairs and kitchen. I was limited to mounting a 58" plasma over the fireplace. The room was prewired for 5.1 with wires for the L/C/R above the fireplace. There was only enough space to each side of the TV for very compact sats. I picked up the very same Pioneer receiver you listed on Black Friday last year. I was looking at various 5.1 speaker systems knowing I had to have a very compact satellite and center speaker. Also, I was on a very limited budget.

I found the Klipsch HD300 system on Amazon for $245 and gave it a shot.

For movies it does surprisingly well. Good clarity and some unexpected punch from such a small (6") sub. The sound is seamless since all the speakers are matched. I believe the HD500 has an 8" sub, as well as a bigger center speaker, and the speakers use a metal tweeter.

I'd never do any serious music listening on the system as that is reserved for my 2.1 setup in the basement.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nito3
Oh forgot ! My Receiver is a Pioneer vsx-820-k with a Samsung pdp 51 7000 series and Ps3 as s bluray. My living room is like 11x12 with hugh ceilings. Just a regular set up but want the best bang for the money. I was leaning towards the def tech just reviews
Take reviews, especially from Amazon, with a grain of salt. The best way to find the "best" sub or for any speaker for that matter is to actually listen to them, however this is not always feasible. What I Iike to do is do a search for an item using a search engine with keywords such as "speaker problem", "speaker warranty" or "speaker failure." This will give you an idea if people who've purchased this item have had any problems. It's not 100% but what in this world is.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Quote:
For all you audio guys! Will the systems listed above be better than my actual energy take 5?
I don't think so. 8 years is not a long time for speakers, and $400 is not a lot of money for 5 speakers. My advice would be to get a good sub and wait for the speaker upgrade.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Quote:
For all you audio guys! Will the systems listed above be better than my actual energy take 5?
Not really I would keep the energy take 5 and put the money towards a subwoofer like the stf-2.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269
+1 for keep the Takes(there is never a reason to get rid of speakers...unless upgrading, this isn't an upgrade)...

Buy another subwoofer and be done with it.
You really believe the Takes are as good as the Def Tech's ?

I agree the HSU sub would make a huge difference but the DT's sound a lot better than the Takes IMO.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for all these question but will it matter to get a different brand of subwoofer?
No, not at all. That HSU will blow you away compared to the Take sub. It would be a night and day difference.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
All satellites perform the same. You are dealing with the realities of physics...

The Def Tech 60.6 has a 3 1/2 inch midrange*, ergo...the sound is going to suck.

It is still better than what the TV can muster on its own.

*I don't call drivers smaller than 5 1/2" a woofer. (and Def Tech calls the 3 1/2" an "upper bass/midrange driver")

To the OP, with the $350...

BIC f12(or even less, the V1220) and get some of these...
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-CB-10-B...3041510&sr=1-3 (if you can't spend "much" more than $350...try the BIC V1020)

Any one of those 3 BIC's will completely blow away what you remember about the weeny Take sub.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito3 /forum/post/20805824

Well after finding a fork,pen,a straw and a plastic bag inside my sub it's time for a new sub! My two year old baby without me knowing put all these item inside the hole of my Energy Take 5 classic system. Some I'm here for advice . I was thinking of replacing just the sub but my Energy speakers are like 8 years old. I also have $400 in store credit at Amazon so that is my spending limit. For my budget I have 4 brands to choose from. Would like your help in deciding what's the best system for my budget. Thanks guys

1. Polk RM705

2. Def techs cinema 60.6

3. Mirage nanosat 5.1

4. Klipsh hd500

5. JBL 300

Or any other system in that price range!

If I may make a suggestion:

Get a 3.1 system.

You can get a Polk Or BIC LRC and a BIC F12 from Amazon for less than your budget.

·
Registered
217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito3 /forum/post/20807453

Sorry for all these question but will it matter to get a different brand of subwoofer?

Using a different sub manufacturer is absolutely okay; in fact it's generally preferred, as its a bit of a different technology and companies that are good at one are not always good at the other.

The Hsu is a great sub, and being forced to go through Amazon is going to limit you for a sub purchase. But if I had to pick one in this case I'd go with: http://www.amazon.com/Velodyne-Impac.../ref=de_a_smtd

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.