AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
After reading the article, I have two points to make:

1) Replay better not EVER do this to us.

2) The three links at the bottom to other articles are also very interesting:

Sky falls down on digital TV recorder -

Software bugs in the Sky Plus digital recorder have become so severe that customers who complain are having their monthly subscription fee refunded.

You cannot record this programme -

There is confusion today after British Sky Broadcasting first confirmed, and then denied that the company's digital recorders have built-in support for recording restrictions.

TiVo recorders 'unusable' with Philips TVs

Users of TiVo's digital video recorder are reporting a number of bizarre glitches in how the device interacts with recent models of Philips TVs.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Pretty good explanation of the details in the article, actually. I don't get why people complain (except due to ignorance, maybe). These things only record if you don't have anything else scheduled to record, only use space that is reserved (i.e., you still have the advertised capacity available, regardless whether these things are recorded), and you don't have to watch them.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Actually, I'm pretty sure that with a few undocumented button presses of the remote, you can view these (normally hidden) recordings in the normal list of recordings, and delete them. There's also some way to hide the extra menu item too, I think.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by klmay
The things I would be upset about are: 1) What if it is something I do not find appropriate for my kids 2) The user can not delete it... at least for a few days. Another link with the same story http://uk.news.yahoo.com/020524/152/cznfz.html
From what I've read parental control settings were ignored with this promo but Tivo should be able to fix that.

What would really annoy me is not having very much warning. I don't always have the remote in hand and my eyes towards the TV when my Tivo or Replay pops up a message saying it wants to change channels. I don't mind when it changes channels to record something that I told it to record. Not having to watch the TV like hawk is one of the best things about having PVR. These things cost a lot of money too. I would hate to be paying for a feature that interferes with my use of the thing.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
Actually, I'm pretty sure that with a few undocumented button presses of the remote, you can view these (normally hidden) recordings in the normal list of recordings, and delete them. There's also some way to hide the extra menu item too, I think.
You stated in a UTV (?) thread awhile ago that DirecTV limited receivers without a phone line connection to one per account. Subsequent posts disagreed making the point that although the one receiver rule may be "official" it's usually ignored and typically a non-issue.

"Pretty sure" doesn't mean a great deal especially if you're thinking about undocumented button presses which nobody has, er, documented and which the average TiVo user wouldn't have a clue about.

My thoughts on the situation:

"TiVo has plans for you. Carefully laid out plans.

TiVo wants to get itself onto the same playing field as the program providers. Right now TiVo is on the bottom of the TV foodchain.

Grab the viewers by the balls (eyeballs, that is) and their hearts and minds will follow!"

This was in response to TiVoPony's post here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...7&pagenumber=2

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
DirecTV does indeed require that two or more receivers on the same account be plugged into the same phone line. I don't know how often they verify this.

The undocumented button presses are obviously documented in the Tivo forums, just not in Tivo's documention.

Basically, you enable the "backdoors" feature with some button presses, and then a few more buttons to display these normally hidden videos in the Now Playing list of shows, where apparently they can be deleted. (I recall someone mentioning these steps, although I don't feel like searching for the thread right now...)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
The undocumented button presses are obviously documented here, just not in Tivo's documention.

Basically, you enable the "backdoors" feature with some button presses, and then a few more buttons to display these normally hidden videos in the Now Playing list of shows, where apparently they can be deleted. (I recall someone mentioning these steps, although I don't feel like searching for the thread right now...)
Such total bullcrap useless posting. You're (apparently) lazy and your post is meaningless. "Apparently", "someone mentioning", puhleeze!

I'll find the link to your DirecTV phoneline post or at least make a real effort to do so if called on this issue.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Basically, you enable the "backdoors" feature with some button presses, and then a few more buttons to display these ....
You shouldn't have to jump through hoops to correct something that your device did without you instructing it to do.

Nor should you have too worry about the device you paid for switching channels during the middle of a ball game while you're getting a beer from the fridge.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I agree, it's not worth it to me to go through the trouble of deleting things I never have to watch, and that effectively don't take up any space.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arjay

Such total bullcrap useless posting. You're (apparently) lazy and your post is meaningless. "Apparently", "someone mentioning", puhleeze!

I'll find the link to your DirecTV phoneline post or at least make a real effort to do so if called on this issue.
Sigh... I figure most people here either don't have Tivos, or if they do, probably either don't care very much about these recordings, or already found out how to delete the recordings.

Here's a link to the undocumented codes, including how to enable backdoors, and how to make the hidden recordings display in Now Playing:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=26530

Let me know if you need a link to directions on how to delete things from Now Playing...

:D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Where the heck is KenL, anyway? Perfectly good Tivo fodder is here to be distorted, and he's AWOL! ;)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Arjay, just for you, I dug up some more info about DirecTV's requirements for multiple receivers... once again, how often it's enforced is something I don't know, but I have seen posts from people saying they've had to plug in their receivers to get them working again (and no, I don't have links handy, but if I don't feel too lazy tomorrow I'll dig them up for you! :))

Link to DirecTV's Customer Agreement:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/...rAgreement.jsp

Quote of relevant section:
Quote:
(g) Phone Connections.

Your receiver units must always be directly connected to a land-based telephone line to receive certain Service, such as sports subscriptions and your local regional sports network, and to be authorized to order pay per view Services with your remote control. If it is not so connected, or if it is connected to a line other than the one you tell us, or if the line is not performing according to our requirements, we may deactivate the applicable Service. If we do, you will still be responsible for all Services purchased through the date of deactivation. Your receiver units must also be connected to the same land-based telephone line in order to be eligible to pay the additional receiver fee rather than purchase a separate subscription for each additional receiver.
(Emphasis added)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
once again, how often it's enforced is something I don't know, but I have seen posts from people saying they've had to plug in their receivers to get them working again (and no, I don't have links handy, but if I don't feel too lazy tomorrow I'll dig them up for you!
You don't know. But you posted as if it was cast in stone. I've seen posts from many DirecTV customers stating it's not enforced and not a problem including a couple from the thread in question.

BTW, I'm not a great researcher of past post links except when searching for verifiable facts which support my position on an issue. Otherwise these forum posts just float away into the forum basement.

Aha! Here it is:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=BrettStah

and the link within the link which was the starting point of the squabble between us:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7&pagenumber=2

Unsupported opinions without references are relatively useless except as FUD promotions.

I'll post again regarding your other "facts".

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just read this about TiVo's UK "Must See TV".. interesting stuff indeed. Recording a show is one thing, not allowing you to delete it is another. I like TiVoPony's post in the coffee house where he basically it's something they are trying out.. I got a real kick out of one of the follow-up posters that made the analogy of punching his friend in the nose and asking him how it felt..."just trying it out".

This is NOT a smart move for Tivo.. UK or regardless.

Brett.. undocumented backdoor modes that allow you to delete the show simply don't count. 95% of the UK TiVo user base is most likely not even aware of these "backdoors" or the TiVoCommunity

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:

Here's a link to the undocumented codes, including how to enable backdoors, and how to make the hidden recordings display in Now Playing:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=26530
Glad you posted that link. I have it filed in my favorites list because it's an important TiVo reference.

Now everyone can see how easy it is to make underground changes to TiVo and how almost every dadgum TiVo customer will undoubtedly hone right in and know precisely how to bring about desired changes and then actually do it!

Here is the relevant quote from the thread:
- Thumbs Down, Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Instant Replay -

:: If done in the ToDo List, it will turn on "Scheduled Suggestions" (See above).

:: If done in the Now Playing List, it will display the "hidden" recordings, like the Teleworld Paid Program. These recordings are those in reserved space.

Uh, why didn't you post the quote originally instead of hemming and hawing and eventually having me find the reference? See how long it takes you just to find this relevant quote from the middle of Otto's backdoors code info.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
You don't know. But you posted as if it was cast in stone. I've seen posts from many DirecTV customers stating it's not enforced and not a problem including a couple from the thread in question.

BTW, I'm not a great researcher of past post links except when searching for verifiable facts which support my position on an issue. Otherwise these forum posts just float away into the forum basement.

Aha! Here it is:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=BrettStah

and the link within the link which was the starting point of the squabble between us:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7&pagenumber=2

Unsupported opinions without references are relatively useless except as FUD promotions.

I'll post again regarding your other "facts".
I did quote from their Customer Agreement. I doubt few outside of DirecTV have definitive knowledge of how often the phone line rule for multiple receivers is actually enforced. Maybe only under certain circumstances, maybe random, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a DirecTV requirement. There's a stop sign near my house. At certain times, the police enforce the "you have to stop here" rule. At other times, they don't. It's still a requirement to stop though.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Uh, why didn't you post the quote originally instead of hemming and hawing and eventually having me find the reference? See how long it takes you just to find this relevant quote from the middle of Otto's backdoors code info.
Glad you eventually found what you were looking for! I didn't realize I had to start providing links to everything now... I'll take this post of yours as an acknowledgement that I did indeed know what I was talking about. :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:

I did quote from their Customer Agreement. I doubt few outside of DirecTV have definitive knowledge of how often the phone line rule for multiple receivers is actually enforced. Maybe only under certain circumstances, maybe random, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a DirecTV requirement....
You never posted until now how you verified this info on April 5 when you first posted it.

FWIW, often times customer info from practical sources is better dope than rule book entries.

I'm sure (er, I think; well maybe; possibly) Dish's official rules are stricter than its practices too.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.