AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a medium/small sized living room / kitchen and want to setup a nice 5.1 system, 80% movies/20% music. I've settled on BS52's fronts and I'll get a good sub in the 200 range. My problem is that the matching pioneer 22 surrounds, while they sound nice, are probably too big for my room. I will have to mount the rears on small speaker stands and both will be VERY close to the edge of my 2 sofa's. I know this isn't ideal, but I really don't have a good place to put them short of mounting them in the ceilings, which I'd rather not do.

What would you suggest I get for the surrounds? Also, would the bipolar style speakers be good for such a setup and if so, what are ones with good value? Or are these generally the same size as the 22's? I'm planning on keeping this under $1000 and will likely get a Denon received in the 250-300 range.

For what it's worth, I currently am using Logitech 5500's so I have very small surrounds. I'm sure I'll get a big jump in sound no matter what I do, it's more of a question of small speakers for the rears.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Those speakers are fairly hard to drive; not very efficient. A receiver in that price range definitely won't do them justice. You may want to just get the BS22's for the fronts. The consensus is they actually have better sound quality than the 52's anyways. Bump up your receiver budget if possible.

If you are going to end up with very small surrounds make sure you get a receiver that you can set the crossovers differently for each speaker. Some, like Pioneer, have a global crossover only.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts