AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, is Angel in HD on the WB starting Wed. or not? TitanTV and HDTVGalaxy don't list it as HD, but I saw a page (don't have the link) on Tribune's website (they own some WB affiliates) that listed Angel in HDTV. Of course, I can only pick up WPIX-DT in NY if the stars are aligned just right and there are clear skies, but should I even try on Wed?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
Please be more specific with topic titles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi all,

here is the feedback i got from local, san diego, wb affiliate.

Quote:
Dear Dan,

Thank you for watching KSWB and for taking a moment to write. The WB is doing Angel in HD this season.

Thanks again for watching KSWB!
woohoo!!!

late,

k

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, we will see tomorrow. My OTA WB reception is spotty, sometimes pixelating, but hopefully it will hold up and be watchable. My tivo will be my backup in case it is not. Damn cable company.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hey all, can most definitely verify that Angel is in HD this year. It is at least being produced in HD. I know this because I viewed some workprints that fell off a truck. Those workprints are obviously compressed from a real 16x9 source, with 4x3 pieces in them....

Darius

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
No ThumperBoy, I am aware of that. I promise you, it is most definitly in HD tomorrow night, like I said, part of the workprints had the 16x9 inside a 4x3 box, and material compressed from 16x9 HD just looks different in general from materials comressed from 16x9 SD, mostly because colors are not as flat.

Darius

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, I hope I get decent reception tomorrow. Here in NY, the local WB is broadcasting at very low power from the Empire State Building, channel 12 at 0.125 kW, and I'm about 30 miles out. It's not easy getting it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Looks to me like it is only Widescreen SD, and I didnt see the "presented in HD by RCA" bug that appeared during Smallville. One can hope that maybe the RCA funding didnt happen after the first (few) episodes had already been posted.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was going to say, it doesn't look like great HD, but I can't tell if it's any better than the anamorphic season 2 dvds. It's definitely not real 5.1. What does everyone else think? I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It hard to make out what exactly we're watching...

There are certain scenes like when Angel was talking to his liaison that look like true HD (because of the detail I could see in the fiber of her blouse). And then there are things that make me thing it's just 16x9 SD stretched to 1920x1080 like when they were showing the credits at the very begging the graphics were obviously SD.

I just watched the end of the show while typing this post and it looks like it's HD to me. I don't know what was going on earlier but it definitely seems like it's HD. Maybe it's just a sub-par transfer if it was shot on film.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had my tivo backing up the analog broadcast because my WB OTA reception is spotty. After looking at that, it's night and day. It's still pretty poor HD, bad transfer, but I also saw some scenes in which detail was their that would not be visible even on a dvd. Too bad the transfer is bad. I don't think Smallville is that great either, but it's much better than Angel in PQ, and there's no doubt that's HD when you are watching it. I'm spoiled by CSI, that's how an HD drama should look.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.