AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Long)

Not a frequent poster but have a disappointing dilemma, this is definitely the place for answers.

Moving into my new construction tomorrow. Gave away all of my tv's in order to stock the new house with some new gear and have been very excited....Best Buy Is set to deliver tomorrow with entertainment vendor set to install everything on Friday.

So, on Black Friday I went to Best Buy and bought a Samsung 60F7100 (high light area, on sale), a Panny 50ST60 (bedroom), and an Insignia 46" for a covered deck. I went back in December and bought one of the last 65ZT60's around (had discovered my 65S1 would not fit it's intended area due to the bezel width....ZT time!).

Since I had paid for everything and was moderately freaked out that they would give away one of my (discontinued) plasmas, I checked in every couple weeks that my sets were on a pallet with my name on them....again, paid for....and they assured me they were. Even went back to buy a Yamaha Adventege receiver to add to the mix.

All set for delivery tomorrow (1/27), right???

Well, I get a phone call today from Best Buy that my 50ST60 had been sold off my pallet and is gone. I'm livid at this point. Had it been the 65ZT I don't know what I would have done. Guy I had been dealing with apologizes profusely and vowed to make it right.....but as you all know there is no way to replace a Panny Plasma. As in, that was the whole reason I got everything locked down and purchased early.

He cannot find any comparable or uplevel Panny's in the region (obviously).....and suggests a display model 50ST60 at a slight discount and 5 year Geek Squad (which I don't want, it's not like they can replace it).

What do you all suggest? Ok with a display model or run for the hills? Ask for an upgraded LED? I am a Panny Plasma lover and have had 4-5 in the past, prefer them greatly. This was for our master bed, less light, perfect for the 50ST.

I'm stumped and extremely pissed at Best Buy. I buy all my AV there, and usually spend a few grand a year on computers for my business there. Just don't know how they could do something like that considering it was PAID FOR.

I know there are worse travesties in the world, believe me I am a thankful person to be able to enjoy some nice things and am certainly not going to let it ruin my day. That said, we all have a common thread here of being AV enthusiasts and I'm sure a lot of you would be heated as well.

Suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I would just ask for a Samsung F8500 plasma as a replacement and move on. If the F8500 is more expensive, see if they'll work with you, given that it was their mistake. The F8500's overall performance will be similar to the ST60, if not better in some ways.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I have found that if you leave any merchandise at Best Buy, they tend to sell it. Kind of like if I leave any food or treats anywhere NEAR visible for our Great Dane, he will plan a way to swipe it. In your case it turned out to be a real bummer (though at LEAST not your ZT, and probably only because it's more expensive), though in mine it worked out in my favor lol. They sold my ZT60 floor model and sent me a brand new in the box one instead without even mentioning anything to me (so I presume it was sold, or worse, broken). I also remember seeing another guy post on the Sharp Elite thread that some TV on the floor was marked sold and he went "outside", as in in the parking lot and "bought it" on his phone or something. I didn't even think that was possible, but regardless, this seems to be a problem with them.

They'll go to remarkable lengths to keep you from being upset usually. So it's not out of the realm of possibility to squeeze an F8500 out of them for this. And as far as closeness in PQ, the F8500 is probably closer than the F5300 which would be the comparable model (and also a good potential replacement, with a lot of $$$ off). Make them work for it.

·
Registered
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc  /t/1514520/angry-dilemma-what-do-you-suggest#post_24274586

I would just ask for a Samsung F8500 plasma as a replacement and move on. If the F8500 is more expensive, see if they'll work with you, given that it was their mistake. The F8500's overall performance will be similar to the ST60, if not better in some ways.

A big +1 from me.

last year I purchased an st60 and returned it for the f8500.

·
Banned
992 Posts
Take delivery of them all, then have them come pick them back up and refund you and go buy something else from Amazon.

·
Registered
217 Posts
get a full refund PLUS the cost it will be to ship a 50ST60 to you from wherever you can find one.

There are still some available up here in victoria, BC, canada new in box.

Saw 3 of them two nights ago.

Or, surely, there are 50st60's available somewhere in your geographic area, from other stores than best buy... no?

·
Registered
38 Posts

Had a similar experience with Best Buy...how I ended up with a buy-one-get-one deal on a pair of ProMonitor 1000's.  They definitely made it right in my case.  

·
Registered
70 Posts
If there is any in any bb store or bb warehouse they can ship it from there to your store. I bought a samsung 7000 series plasma last year and it came from a warehouse up north slightly used and they gave me a big discount off because the set was supposed to come from a BB store near Atlanta new that they never shipped.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To update...

Declined the open box 50ST....just isn't something I wanted to deal with. Would loved to have had one but oh well.

Went to my BB today, met with several managers, pretty much everyone in their TV and Magnolia departments had heard the story and was very apologetic and surprised I was (for the most part) pretty calm about the whole thing. They gave me the Sammy 51F8500 at employee cost (the max they said they were allowed) and then refunded another 100 from my ZT purchase. Was basically out $100 for a very nice set.

Overall, I do think they took care of me and were apologetic. Still pretty shocked at the principle of it happening in the first place, but all is well and we move on.

Thank you for the replies. Don't post often but this place is the best AV resource on the planet.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Sounds like a fair deal. Congrats on the new f8500, welcome to the club.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Sounds like they did what they could given the circumstances.  I worked at best buy in the Geek Squad for a number of years.. watching what happened in the rest of the store, I can say that generally, if you're calm, and understanding and polite, they will do whatever they can to make it right (within reason).

Enjoy the new F8500, its a heck of a nice display. 

1 - 11 of 11 Posts