AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I am running a 235:1 constant height setup I love watching anything I can get my hands on in scope.

Animation is always a winner with company and the younger family members so Im wondering what other anaimated titles may exist outside of the few I am aware of.

I have Titan AE and I think the movie "The Thornberrys" is also in scope..can anyone confirm this.

If you know of any other animated titles in scope please list them.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Wasn't the Bug's Life anamorphic widescreen in 2:35? I haven't watched in quite some time, bt I seem to remember that one being 2:35.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Here are a few 2.35:1 animation titles from my collection:

Anastasia (1997--but unfortunately is non-anamorphic) - underrated animated musical.

The Animatrix - AWESOME sound and video, and a must for Matrix fans.

Disney's Atlantis (2001)

Black Cauldron (Non-anamorphic)

Brother Bear

Bug's Life

Iron Giant

Lady And the Tramp (currently non-anamorphic)

Looney Tunes Back in Action (actually 2.40:1. Animation/Live Action)

Spirit-Stallion of the Cimarron

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Sadly, there are no anime (animatrix doesn't count) that I know that are in 2.35:1. Even the recently released Innocence (Ghost in the Shell 2) is in 1.85:1.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Oh yeah...and just so you know...."Brother Bear" starts out 1.85:1, for the first 10-20 minutes I believe, then actually transitions to 2.35:1 as an artistic choice. Not sure how that affects constant height systems, but I know there's a long thread on it somewhere.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffden
Wasn't the Bug's Life anamorphic widescreen in 2:35? I haven't watched in quite some time, bt I seem to remember that one being 2:35.

Jeff
Yes it is.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I know it's not animation, but it could be considered family. Released last week, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is 2 disc, and disk 1 is 2.55:1 anamorphic. Disk 2 is 1.85:1 anamorphic.

I guess the movie is OK, it's one of my wife's favorites. There is just something funny about 7 axe swinging men carrying on in song. :p

·
Registered
28,952 Posts
Do the Thunderbirds movies count as animation? That's a judgement call, but both are 2.35:1.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Alan,

You might want to try Japanese animated movies from the 60s...the ones with an albino lion that's so reminiscent of a certain recent Disney lion ( ;) ) in particular. Am sure they have English subtitles.

Also, would The Dark Crystal do in lieu of animation?... :D

Cheers!

-THTS

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
The region 2 release of Anastasia is anamorphic.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Frank, that's Kimba the White Lion you're referring to :). It's also known as Jungle Taitei and Jungle Emperor Leo. There were several TV series, and one summary movie that was just put together by using clips from the series. There's only one theatrical movie however, and that was released as late as 1997. I don't believe that's 2.35:1 though:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PIBA-3082

It doesn't have English subs so I wouldn't call it a safe buy. I did post on the AoD boards, and the only anime in 2.35:1 they could come up with was this one:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=DSTD-2103

No English subs on that one either of course.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Frode
Frank, that's Kimba the White Lion you're referring to :). It's also known as Jungle Taitei and Jungle Emperor Leo. There were several TV series, and one summary movie that was just put together by using clips from the series. There's only one theatrical movie however, and that was released as late as 1997. I don't believe that's 2.35:1 though:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PIBA-3082

It doesn't have English subs so I wouldn't call it a safe buy. I did post on the AoD boards, and the only anime in 2.35:1 they could come up with was this one:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=DSTD-2103

No English subs on that one either of course.
Yea, that's the kitty cat am speaking about. Thanks!

Now, I did see a full-length feature starring that very same albino lion in 1965 or 1966 and it was scope. It had subtitles in my native language. Anyhow, probably isn't available on video.

By the way, isn't Princess Monoke, or whatever the name is, an scope feature? Cheers!...

-THTS

·
Registered
897 Posts
Rugrats Go Wild

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ahh "The Thunderbirds" cool.

Thanks everyone. Keep them coming.

Ive ordered everything listedhere I could find in stock. Winter season is coming and we spend a lot of time using the theater. Stocking up on material.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Princess Mononoke is 1.85:1.

Of special interest is that imdb lists Spirited Away as being 2.00:1. I believe this to be a mistake, and was taken from the DVD release, which listed it first as 2.00:1, but the actual content on the disc was windowboxed 1.85:1. I used to have some high definition production shots that was released to the press lying around. Interestingly enough those were in 3000x2000 - 1.5:1 aspect ratio. If there ever was a theatrical showing in 2.00:1 it was most likely cropped compared to the 1.85:1 version.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.