AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since INHD has launched recently and they have some anime on loan from the Anime Network, I am interested in hearing reviews and details. Are the movies/series all dubbed, or do they alternate dub/sub?

Currently, INHD is running Spriggan and You're Under Arrest (movie). Looks like they're rolling out Noir next month.

I'm also interested in hearing about anime availability on any other channels, since I don't yet get INHD (I have Starpower/RCN). On some of the fansubs and DVDs that I collect, the credits at the end include those for HD work, so I wanna see it in its best available format! For instance, Banner of the Stars II appears to be an HD production which ended up as anamorphic widescreen for DVD.

The only other reference that I can see in the archives for anime in HD is an old one for Speed Racer on HDNet.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Japanese pay channel WOWOW has many of the most famous anime movies in HD. Of course, they are not available unless you can get somebody to sell you their tape.

Darius

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, I don't know Japanese. Might be a while before we have fansubs and then they probably would all be in Korean. :D

However, I would be interested in hearing reviews from those who have checked out WOWOW's stuff. I think there are also some series that are broadcast in HD in Japan and would be interested in hearing any details. For instance, Noir must have been broadcast in HD somewhere on the Japanese spectrum.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just realized the connection (I must be really quick-witted ;)). If an anime series is copyright WOWOW on the DVD cover as well as copyright the publisher (Bandai, in the instance of Banner of the Stars II), then that means that it aired on WOWOW.

Is WOWOW only one channel and, if so, does it only broadcast in HD? Is this the only HD venue where anime would air?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Man I want to move to Japan so bad...I've heard great things about WOWWOW. Too bad there isn't a true international DBS service that would bring all of this great foriegn HD channels and programming to the U.S...

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Noir is a fun, cerebral series- the dub is decent too. The DVD is stellar- this one should look amazing.

Spriggan was a lousey transfer (DVD looked bad too) and I never saw the You're Under Arrest series, which appears to be a pre-requisite for the movie- I was completely lost.

I'm hoping they get more first-run stuff like Noir- the whole series isn't even out on DVD yet.

Dan- Comcast just added VOD here a few weeks back, and The Anime Network is there- well over 100 episodes of various series. Unfortunately they don't look too hot- I still prefer the DVD. Once firewire output is available on cable boxes I'll definately start archiving some of the HD stuff.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Do you have a link?
No, but the INHD schedule on their website indicates that they are running two new eps of Noir a week starting tonight at 8:00 and 8:30. They have a pretty short playlist, so it's going to be playing almost everday.

Quote:
The DVD is stellar- this one should look amazing.
Yes, I assume that the US DVD was mastered off of the HD source, which INHD will show in its full glory. This makes me very interested.

Regarding the quality of the Anime Network stuff, I am a little picky, I'll admit. I don't like dubs at all. But I thought maybe the video and audio PQ of HDTV would perhaps in some small way offset this.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Dubs don't bother me so much. If it's halfway decent I'll usually watch it that way first to take in the animation. The Noir dub is well acted. That said there is no reason why they couldn't add a 2nd audio-track to their broadcasts. I'm not sure of the logistics, but the ability must be there.

Now I can start selling off some of my DVDs. Studios like ADV charge a premium for their series, now averaging only three 24min episodes per DVD, when in the beginning they used to offer 6.

I'm really anticipating firewire output for cable- that's why I just grabbed one of those $300 JVC DVHS refurbs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As I own the japanese r2 dvds for noir, I can tell you the american r1 releases suck in terms of PQ. I guess if you have no reference point to compare with, the r1s might be acceptable. ADV just does not know how to encode, regardless of what their source was. (Usually japanese studios provide the american license holders with non-hd digibeta) In general, R2s are much higher quality because they include less episodes per disc and encode at a higher bit rate than american dvds.

Noir did air on japanese satelite tv, but finding a dvhs of this is impossible for purchase. It did not air 1080i or 720p however, it aired at a resolution lower than either we don't recieve in the us (I forget which).

Maybe INHD will have a great source, but its almost garaunteed it won't as AN (ADV) will be providing the material and it will be dub only, and probably upscale of the 480 dvd -__-.

Another pet peeve:

The 5.1 "mix" on the american discs is actually an interpolation, not a true 5.1 recording as well. Its usefulness is more marketing than anything else. The R2s are 2.0 as they were originally recorded and broadcasted at.

On the upside, the american releases have subs (albiet ******) for those who don't understand japanaese and cost about 1/3 of what the r2s cost me. Different market, different needs.

ADV has been milking their buyers for years ever since they became successful with evangelion and they continue to do it because they are a business and they have found only a handful of people like myself complain, and the majority of anime fans will continue to buy from them. The only reason Noir was not 8 dvds and only 7, was because they promised not to release anymore 8 dvd series after eva. Note that the number of episodes they put on a disc makes no sense whatsoever. Noir disc 1 is 5 eps, 2 is 4, 3 is 3, 4 is 4, 5 is 3 etc.

Sorry for the rant, ADV just gets under my skin. We in the fansubbing community are always disappointed when ADV licenses a show because they do such a terrible job and charge a premium for it. Its a catch 22 because on one hand a show you love will get greater exposure and the purpose of fansubbing it has been fulfilled, but on the other, ADV just doesn't do the thing justice.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Noir looks like an upconvert from the DVD, but so has all their Anime Network showings so far- Thing is, INHD says they only show HD.

Either way, still better than 4:3 SD.

I'll send INHD an email and ask them what the deal is.

I'll disagree with you on the R1 DVD quality. It looks excellent to me, especially processed with FFDShow. Looks better than the INHD showing.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a shame, Dave. Please let us know if/what you hear back from them.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I had been intending to pick up Noir on DVD to watch, but when I saw it was on INHD, I jumped on the opportunity to watch it (and record Smallville's premier instead of watching that).

Would be nice if you could get the Japanese soundtrack on a secondary channel, but on the 5100, it's a pain in the butt to switch language tracks, and get subtitles on HD material. Still, that option would be nice to have for the future when MSTV gets here.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Dang, how many otakus are there here? I am not much on Anime, especially outside of watching Japanese culture...I just get cool fansubs of high quality, fairly adult anime like Haibane Renmei.

Darius

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
I haven't seen any 4:3 showings on INHD. I think there was one 1.66, but that was it.

I know The Anime Network doesn't own the rights for Bebop, so if we're going to see more anime, they'll have to get it from somewhere else. I also find the Anime Network logo combine with the INHD one to be very distracting.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm not an ADV fan, but Noir on DVD is very, very close to the R2. If there were no 5.1, they would probably be the same.

Most R2 discs that people like to brag about as having few episodes per disc are simply DVD-5 discs. Noir here is in DVD-9 and not overcompressed. The majority of R1 releases give as many bits to each episode as their R2 counterparts. R1 is not perfect, but most of the bashing of R1 releases is unfounded.

·
Registered
28,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hkenshin
As I own the japanese r2 dvds for noir, I can tell you the american r1 releases suck in terms of PQ. I guess if you have no reference point to compare with, the r1s might be acceptable. ADV just does not know how to encode, regardless of what their source was.
The R1 Noir discs looks terrific. Your mention of "ADV just does not know how to encode" makes it sound like you're complaining about the progressive scan flagging, which is only an issue if you're using a flag-reading DVD player, which you shouldn't because they're the very worst kind. On a player with a cadence-based chip like a Faroudja they look just fine. 85-90% of all DVDs have bad flagging, so this is a useless point to complain about, especially since it is so easy to get around.

In addition, the R1 DVDs have a Japanese 5.1 soundtrack, while the R2 discs are only 2.0.

Quote:
Another pet peeve:

The 5.1 "mix" on the american discs is actually an interpolation, not a true 5.1 recording as well. Its usefulness is more marketing than anything else. The R2s are 2.0 as they were originally recorded and broadcasted at.
This is not true at all. The 5.1 track was a remix created by the original Japanese studio. It is a real 5.1 mix with true stereo surrounds and discrete rear activity. It even decodes fairly well into EX if you leave that processing engaged.

Believe me, I'm no ADV fanboy. A lot of their past output has been awful. Their Spriggan disc looks terrible. And for as much as they exploit the Eva fan base, I'm very annoyed that they refuse to license the new remasters that Gainax put out in Japan, which look about a thousand times better than the old masters.

But, when it comes to Noir, I have no complaints. They've done a bang-up job with that license.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.