AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting my parents an HDTV and tuner as a gift. Thing is that they live in a condo on the southwest side of Ann Arbor and probably don't want to mess with outside antennas. Does anybody that lives in the immediate Ann Arbor area have any experience with indoor reception of Detroit digital stations? I'd try this out myself but I don't live in the Detroit area anymore. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi

I'm in Northeast Ann Arbor and got decent reception with a Samsung SIR-T150 with a Radio Shack double bow tie antenna or Silver Sensor antenna in a second floor bedroom facing the Southfield transmitters. You should be aware that Comcast is currently rolling out cable HDTV, so if your parents already get cable, the additional cost to get HDTV would be around an additional $10 - 15/month, I think, if they don't already get digital cable. More if they want HBO or Showtime in HD. Some of the new HDTV sets come with built in QAM tuners which allow you to receive non-premium HDTV broadcasts without having to get the digital tuner from the cable company (see other posts in this forum).

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I had o.k. reception with an indoor antenna. But that really doesn't mean anything. You just have to try it and see - reception is highly variable by location.

If they can do it, an attic antenna would be best.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I used to have a double bow tie in the basement and was able to pick up all except UPN. Now I have an outdoor antenna. I had better luck with the Toledo channels than the Detroit channels with an indoor antenna. Never get the Terk antennas. They are BAD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.