AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is something really off here. The music has a strange flutter, as though it was speeding up and slowing down, speeding up, slowing down, etc. etc. It sounds horrible. The other HBO channels do not have any problems. Anyone ever encounter this?

I hope this doesn't happen with GLADIATOR on Friday.

This is my first day with DISH. HD Demo loop looks great. HBO's "Anna & The King" transfer is mediocre and inferior to my DVD. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After watching and listening for 2 hours, I am positive there is something very screwed up with the sound on this one. The music is just horrible sounding with the speed up/slow down, flutter thing or whatever you call it. I popped in my DVD to compare and there was absolutely no flutter at all. :mad:

I'll have to see how JEFFERSON IN PARIS sounds (it's on next). Never saw this film. Is it a 1.85:1 film? 2.35:1 scope? Or 2.35:1 Super35?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMDB is an absolute joke and lists so many 1.85:1 films as 2.35:1, it's impossible to get accurate information.

Transfer I saw was 1.85:1 and better than DVD quality, but not as nice as anything on the Demo channel or the clips from THE MATRIX I have seen at TWEETER.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Why are they a joke? Exactly which movies are supposedly incorrectly listed by IMDB? They are VERY accurate, especially when it comes to technical specs. Just because a movie shows up as 1.78 on HBO-HD doesn't mean that's the OAR. HBO-HD shows everything as 1.78, except for some older transfers. HBO is the anti-OAR network.

·
Registered
425 Posts
HBO's HD version of Anna and the King has a "flawed" soundtrack. This was noted on this board many months ago. I have not experienced this with any other HBO HD movie presentation...

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
IMDB is an absolute joke and lists so many 1.85:1 films as 2.35:1, it's impossible to get accurate information.

Transfer I saw was 1.85:1 and better than DVD quality, but not as nice as anything on the Demo channel or the clips from THE MATRIX I have seen at TWEETER.
What? The IMDB isn't perfect, but it's very accurate. Could you give us some examples of incorrect aspect ratios on the IMDB? And I mean more than just one or two.

And you're comparing a video based production to an HD transfer. Not a fair comparison.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Just because a movie shows up as 1.78 on HBO-HD doesn't mean that's the OAR. HBO-HD shows everything as 1.78, except for some older transfers. HBO is the anti-OAR network.
Yes, I know that very well. I was just wondering if anyone knew if it was a Super35 Open matted transfer, as the film's director has show some projects that way. Having now watched it, I am certain it was not a scope film zoomed in.

I have not used the IMDB for some years to check aspect ratios because I found numerous examples of 1.85:1 films listed as scope. There are quite a few threads on this over at HTF.

Now, do you honestly expect me to write down the titles that I saw listed as incorrect? What purpose would that serve? The only one I can remember off hand is THE CROW, which was listed as 1.85:1, than scope 2.35:1, then 1.85:1, then scope 2.35:1. This was over the course of a year. Some newsgroups had threads on it because clearly, people think it is funny to email an "update" to the IMDB.

EDIT: I remember three titles that I corrected. KNIGHT MOVES, which was listed as scope, when it was shot Super35. Same for CRYING FREEMAN. The last is BATMAN, which for a time was listed as scope. I sent the email to update it 1.85:1. No idea what any of these are listed as now. Don't really care.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.