Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WiRNS v0.1a

-----------

\tTHIS IS AN ALPHA RELEASE THAT COMES WITH NO WARRANTIES. BY RUNNING THIS SOFTWARE

\tYOU UNDERSTAND THAT ANY DAMAGES POTENTIALLY CAUSED BY IT TO YOUR COMPUTER/REPLAYTV

\t/PERSON/DOG/SISTER/MOTHER/ETC. ARE YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY AND NOT THAT OF THE AUTHOR.

That being said, welcome to WiRNS v0.1 ALPHA.

What is WiRNS?

--------------

\tWiRNS is Windows Replay Network Server. For all you non-americans (or americans with

channel lineup problems (thanks TMS!) this software is for you. WiRNS will emulate certain

portions of the replay "mothership" and allow you to insert your own guide data into a ReplayTV.

WiRNS will _NOT_ encourage/experiment/investigate/enable any sort of service theft or activation

work arounds. In fact, most of the traffic does go to the real replay mothership, we just hijack

the information about the actual guide/channel lineup.

How does it work?

-----------------

\t

\tWiRNS relies on a number of other tools, effectively tho, you run a dns server which tells

your replay that your windows box is the ip address of the mothership. WiRNS then listens for all the

requests, proxies everything except for the getcg2/getheadend/getzipcode/putsyslog (ChannelGuide/Channel

Lineup/Available Providers/POST request I was too lazy to proxy) requests. Any of the requests dealing with

guide information are hijacked and served / formatted locally.

--END NFO EXCEPRT

Waiting for a sf project to become active. Please read the _ENTIRE_ readme before whining/complaining. The part stressing that it is alpha and will crash especially. I finally got this working last night (after you import your guide, ff into the future, there is a minor bug limiting full import of the current day for the first import). Only tested on 5000 5.0.110. _Should_ work on 4000 too.

EDIT: Wow, I'm a little brain dead today. _TONS_ of thanks go out to ijprest for his wonderful documentation on some of the replay protocols. This wouldn't have been possible this quickly without him.

EDIT2: SourceForge got project setup. http://wirns.sourceforge.net for a link to the zip file there. Anyone trying this and have any feedback?

-kjac

wirns-0.1a.zip 64.3544921875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
D'Oh..

forgot a step to get bind working that has caused some people some hiccups.

In addition to the 2 files I included for named (you need to edit the subnets in named.conf and the "* A 192.168.0.1" line in replaytv.net.zone (changed 192.168.0.1 to the ip of your wintendo, and the subnet mask to the ip space your replay is in) you will need a root.hint file.

Download:

ftp://ftp.rs.internic.net/domain/named.root

rename the file to root.hint and place into the bind etc directory (/windows/system32/dns/etc by default)

also need to copy your tv_grab_na.conf file from xmltv into the folder that WiRNServ is in.

-kjac

·
Registered
912 Posts
The attached program may be useful for those who don't want to mess with setting up a full DNS server. It is a very simple DNS server that allows you to define specific name-to-IP mapping. Anything not defined gets forwarded on to a real DNS server.

Edit: attachment removed and replaced with an updated copy in a new message below...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Way to go kjac........ Now I have to decipher this....... It will keep me off this forum for a while, I'm sure. Oh well, it will give me a great excuse not to have to mow the lawn tomorrow.

I'm sure that there are many "non-Americans" out there who also want to pass along there thanks to you. Your hard work on behalf of this community doesn't go unnoticed or under-appreciated! It probably will be well under-paid, however ...... G. Duprey, Lee Thompson et thanks for your hard work on our behalf.

BTW..... I forgot to say in a previous post..... God Bless all who stand for freedom, liberty and our way of life...... God Bless the Americans who have the balls to step up to the plate and fight for us.

As a Canadian, retired firefighter and part-time American (Florida snowbird )...... I will never forget 9-11-2001.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Can you add an option to bypass downloading of the pause ad's? Also...if your proxy could "cache" the guide data then if the household had multiple replays' they could "sync up" without actually having to have the net connection.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Great Concept.

Quick Question. (For us non programmer types)

What is the Geek rating on this.

1 = Anyone can do it.

. . .

5 = Need to talk XML

I'd hope there is a small words explanation of setting up support for say the major Canadian Systems (BEV, *Choice) etc.

Looks Promising from the description.

Cliff

·
Registered
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by famewolf
Can you add an option to bypass downloading of the pause ad's?
You've seen one pause ad, it's been gone for about a week, and this is the request? Sorry, it just seems like ant hunting with a sledge hammer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I expected to get some flack over this. For the same reason that I run an ad filtering proxy on my network and bought a replay that could AUTOSKIP commercials before that option was removed I would like the OPTION to opt-out of the pause ads. If replay will not provide that option then perhaps one of the many fine coders writing programs such as this one can assist. Saying "It was only one pause ad" is like saying "It was only one popup window ad" except this pause ad lasted for a week and I got to look at it every time I paused the machine. I would not have near the objection if it displayed ONCE and gave me the option to DELETE it.

You of course have both the RIGHT to disagree with me (as I have the right to disagree with you) and the OPTION not to block the pause ad once that option becomes available.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I dunno, I don't mind the occasional unobtrusive pause ad aimed sqaurely at my obvious interests (i.e. digital video/audio and all things geek). As long as hitting the PLAY button makes them go away, what's the harm?

·
Registered
640 Posts
No big deal. The question of pause ads have differing vews. When it looked like the Replay might become a doorstop and go out of business, ads to help the company were viewed by many as a good thing. (Ads to keep guide alive, vs. no ads and the product dies). They are still a low level of use. Your opinions are fine. I thought the rio ads some time ago were kinda cute.

I did think that the thread of the alternate programming informational source was the topic of the thread, and the question of pause ads something well down the list as this utility evolves. As a forum regular say, 'It's only Television"

·
Registered
971 Posts
This app sounds VERY useful for either someone who can't get a proper channel lineup or someone outside ReplayTv's coverage area (is outside the US.)

I could also see it useful to create a "custom" channel lineup of only those specific channels you actually watch. What I mean is that I know that you can "deselect" channels from showing up in ght Channel Guide through Setup, but ALL of the Channel Guide data still gets downloaded. It has to be, because if you select an unselected channel, the Guide data is ther. I wonder if it would improve performance with things like searches and such if you only had channel Guide data for those channels you actually have selected? Aside from Premium movie channels (which are pretty much hit-or-miss for content), I notice that my wife and I really only watch content from say, 8-10 channels. If I only had Channel Guide information for those channels I selected, would performance improve? I understand the reason to have all of the Guide data available, but having an option to only include selected Guide data might be interesting.

Oh, and I'll save my (many) pause ads comments for another thread...

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
It's bound to help Jim. On those Replays I have set up for only OTA channels the search is done just about instantaneously.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow,

Lots of responses, lets do these 1 at a time.

Quote:
The attached program may be useful for those who don't want to mess with setting up a full DNS server. It is a very simple DNS server that allows you to define specific name-to-IP mapping. Anything not defined gets forwarded on to a real DNS server.
FlipFlop,

The configuration files that I provided for BIND do exactly this. I just picked a random dns server on the internet to forward too (people should change this so as to not overload it) and it only responds for the replaytv.net zone. The advantage of using Bind9 over micro_dns is that bind supports *.replaytv.net resolving (replay has a bunch of different servers production, production-backup, production-1 production-2 that the rptv may query at any time).

If people want to run micro_dns they'll have to setup an entry for all of those.

Quote:
So is this extracting only American channels? What about Canadian cable channels?
This gets a channel lineup/guide data from xmltv. Any proper xmltv supported country will work. _HOWEVER_ as it stands right now, the only timezones support (because I'm not hijacking that request yet) are ones you can find a US zipcode for. I use this to give my rptv5040 *C listings.

Quote:
Can you add an option to bypass downloading of the pause ad's? Also...if your proxy could "cache" the guide data then if the household had multiple replays' they could "sync up" without actually having to have the net connection.
Technically I can bypass anything. As it stands right now, I'm not because I'm not sure what the legal area is on this. Perhaps Lyndon/Richard would be willing to respond? The only thing I hijack are channel lineup (headend), provider availability for a zipcode (getzipcode) and channel guide (getcg2) requests. Also putsyslog, but thats because I've been a little too lazy to go and fix the POST parser.

Quote:
Quick Question. (For us non programmer types)

What is the Geek rating on this.

1 = Anyone can do it.

. . .

5 = Need to talk XML
Hard for me as a programmer to answer. As it stands right now, this is a Proof of Concept. I have it working, and have confirmed another person has this working for BEV listings. I'd say its about a 3.5 right now. The other person is going to spruce up my documentation for the BIND/MySQL setup portions (which is where he mostly got hung up). Going forward I'm going to be working on stability first and foremost, and ease of use second.

Quote:
could also see it useful to create a "custom" channel lineup of only those specific channels you actually watch. What I mean is that I know that you can "deselect" channels from showing up in ght Channel Guide through Setup, but ALL of the Channel Guide data still gets downloaded. It has to be, because if you select an unselected channel, the Guide data is ther. I wonder if it would improve performance with things like searches and such if you only had channel Guide data for those channels you actually have selected? Aside from Premium movie channels (which are pretty much hit-or-miss for content), I notice that my wife and I really only watch content from say, 8-10 channels. If I only had Channel Guide information for those channels I selected, would performance improve?
jbarr,

This is exactly what I do with my *C lineup. I only present the channels me and my gf watch. Dumped all the sat radio, french, ppv, crap channels. I'm down to 169 I think (which I could trim down significantly more). And yes, I have noticed that searching for shows and navigating the guide seems significantly faster.

That being said,

There is 1 minor bug that was brought to my attention last night. It seems when you re setup the provider the initial guide import doesn't work. But a 243-Zones-7 connect pulls guide data in after that. I'm looking into it.

-kjac

·
Registered
440 Posts
kjak....

Unfortunately, it's too complicated for me. You mention that you know of someone who has BEV listings. Is there a "Dummies Guide" (read: Wayne) to installing BEV listings available somewhere?

Thanks,

Wayne

·
Registered
640 Posts
This is a great little tool. Hearing that a fellow got BEV working is encouraging. As a non programmer, the more that you (or other users) can lay out a 1,2,3 type do this setup guide/faq, the more of us will be able to get this up and going.

Now a question. The Directv listings are the ones that RTV allows serial control on. Can you give a brief answer if you can import a listings from XMLTV and retain the Direct TV 'flag' so that the serial port remains active?

Nice Work Sir!

Cliff

·
Registered
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kjac
FlipFlop,

The configuration files that I provided for BIND do exactly this. I just picked a random dns server on the internet to forward too (people should change this so as to not overload it) and it only responds for the replaytv.net zone. The advantage of using Bind9 over micro_dns is that bind supports *.replaytv.net resolving (replay has a bunch of different servers production, production-backup, production-1 production-2 that the rptv may query at any time).

If people want to run micro_dns they'll have to setup an entry for all of those.
Bind will work fine, but it does have a bunch of setup and configuration stuff that gets confusing in a hurry. In your instructions you said setting up bind "is an exercise for the user", but in my experience there can be many pitfalls in getting bind set up correctly. Plus, you have to update the root.cache file on a regular basis.

I just threw out the micro_dns code as a very simple alternative to your bind setup. Configuring micro_dns is simply changing the IP number listed in 4 lines in the 'hosts' file:
Code:
Code:
192.168.1.25  production.replaytv.net
192.168.1.25  production-1.replaytv.net
192.168.1.25  production-2.replaytv.net
192.168.1.25  production-backup.replaytv.net
and setting the DNS server to use in the 'resolv.conf' file (substitute your ISP's DNS server here):
Code:
Code:
nameserver 198.41.0.4
I suppose I could make it even simpler, so you give the two addresses on the command line, but I think this is simple enough.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Bind will work fine, but it does have a bunch of setup and configuration stuff that gets confusing in a hurry.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

K.I.S.S.

This is great that folks are stepping up with easy (relative) ways to get this installed. No one expects a self-extracting install file (But a cup of coffe for anyone who creates one!) but cutting down on the pitfalls in getting a baseline setup working is a good goal.

Folks can always add enhanced capability, alternate utilities etc. But a plain vanilla, simple, 1.2.3. list of instructions is appreciated. I can't wait to get home from work and have the weekend (after Honey-Do's) to play with this.

Again, Cheers!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
kjak....

Unfortunately, it's too complicated for me. You mention that you know of someone who has BEV listings. Is there a "Dummies Guide" (read: Wayne) to installing BEV listings available somewhere?

Thanks,

Wayne
I'm somewhat allergic to documentation. I'm doing some work today on improving the importer. I'll ask the guy who got BEV working (also happens to be my main beta tester) to update the docs, unless someone else is willing to.

Quote:
Now a question. The Directv listings are the ones that RTV allows serial control on. Can you give a brief answer if you can import a listings from XMLTV and retain the Direct TV 'flag' so that the serial port remains active?
As it stands right now, no. The _ONLY_ provider we return a listing for (at the moment this will change going forward) is Satellite, because that give the full ir blaster code (which I have to use for *C). I don't have a DTV receiver/dish that works with serial control. I'll see if I can find someone up here in my city to let me bring my replay over so I can dump the data that mothership returns for the serial control codes and implement it. Or I'll see how much DTV would cost me to get.

Quote:
Bind will work fine, but it does have a bunch of setup and configuration stuff that gets confusing in a hurry. In your instructions you said setting up bind "is an exercise for the user", but in my experience there can be many pitfalls in getting bind set up correctly. Plus, you have to update the root.cache file on a regular basis.
Agreed,

I'll try to get a complete list of current replay servers and put out a micro_dns configuration in the next major update.

-kjac

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.