Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions:

I want to disable the Windows splashscreen in ME at bootup. Is there any way to do this or change this at least?

Secondly, I am having popping problems when my processor switches from PCM to SPDIF via my AP 24/96 soundcard. This is getting annoying. Do the new AP beta drivers fix this popping issue? Are these (new)drivers even available for ME? I know only certain receivers processors have this problem (not muting it's input when changing modes). I think the best way would be to lock SPDIF so my processor never switches modes. Is it possible in ME to disable ALL windows sounds so my processor NEVER detects the PCM bitstream? This would be the best solution in my case since i only use the HTPC for dvd playback.

As for Girder, it works fine one day then the next, nothing but problems. I have an LCD on my PC now and on many occasions the thing will stay locked on and will lock my applications in the process. For the most part it works but reliability is less than average. The poweroff command works, but via remote i have a 1 in 10 success rate with poweroff via Pronto. The other 9 times the pc locks up, have to reboot then manually shut down with my airboard.

The are many advances to the HTPC recently and the VFD/LCD is a cool concept but reliability issues arise.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Serge,

I am not sure for ME but in windows 9.x there is a file on the root of your c drive logo.sys. This is the splash screen when windows starts. Copy the file so you have a backup, then open the one on the root of c in paint and just make is all black. When you restart there should no longer be a splash screen. As far as your LCD it my not be grinder. Grinder interfaces with LcDriver I think. I have used LcDriver and it locks up at least once a day. There is better LCD software out there. One of which is LCDC currently it is an beta but once it is version 1 Matt (the developer) has thoughts of getting it to interface with grinder. Not a current fix, but maybe in a few months.

Nathaniel

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi,

I'm using Girder myself to control 2 HTPC's and I can't confirm your problems, though I'm using W2K. Since ME is not the 'most stable' operating system, does it shutdown correctly via mouse/keyboard ?? Normally it's not a Girder problem but more deeply inside the configuration.

I'm also using an LCD with Girder (parallel version) and that may have been the part which have never failed. Yes, I'm a supporter of Girder but these are my honoust experiences...

Finally if the problems remain, post them at the Girder forum. When people can help you, they will.

Wykat

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Girder is freezing up when i try to shutdown the pc. Then once frozen the keyboard will not shutdown the pc. If i avoid girder alltogether then the pc shuts down properly via keyboard. With the Theatertek player and DVDSPy, the lcd comes on with title, chapter, etc but it is a hit and miss situation.

Sometimes the display will stay on on i have to go into the registry and unlock it. Then i go into the LCD driver control panel applet, run the test screen (the test screen runs then the display shut itself off again) then i'm good to go. I run TT and everything works as it should. So it's LCD driver causing some of the problems and at the same time locking up Girder in the process. How to fix it, i don't know, that's why i'm here:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok I've had the same problem but determined its NOT lcddriver but DVDSPY girder plugin

If you disable LCD plugin for girder and run girder with DVDspy plugin enabled you still have the same problems with rebooting.

i.e. you never display ANYTHING on your VFD yet it still locks up on a reboot/shutdown.

I ask you to try this little experiment.

i.e. go into software plugins and turn off lcd. Restart windows etc.

Load girder + theatretek. close both, try and reboot and watch it die....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.