AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search for any info on this, but I am not sure of the proper terminology. I have a Toshiba sd3950 DVD player and when I am watching anything with quick and drastic scene changes (like a camera flash, lightning, gunshots, quick edits from night to day or from one solid color to another) the whole screen has a streaky white flash. I imagine that it has to do with the DVD player not being able to keep up with the data, but that seems like a pretty serious issue for a large company like Toshiba to let slide. I know that it isn't the content because I can watch the same DVDs on my computers and they work fine. I am just wondering if anyone else has this DVD player and if they have experienced the same problems. I am using the S-Video output because I still only have a SDTV w/out a component in. If anybody has any advice or thoughts on this issue I would love to hear.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since I solved this problem, I figured that I would post the problem/solution for anybody else that may have a similar issue.

It turns out that it was the S-Video output of my DVD player was being problematic. I switched over to the composite video and the problem went away. I was having the problem with and without my new Panny XR55, and I wasn't having the problem with my D*TiVo so I know it was the output and not the input or the AVR. Luckily I haven't notticed much (if any) PQ loss with the new connection.

Later,

Brian

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
My "solution" was somewhat the opposite - with my Panasonic DMR E80H I saw the flashes occasionally when using component connection to my Panasonic 42PA25U ED plasma. I switched to S-video input and the problem went away, but the PQ suffers somewhat. Fortunately, for my regular DVD viewing I use a Panasonic RP-56 player, with component out, and PQ is outstanding, with no "flash" problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.