Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Are there any settings within the projector that effect the annoying 4:3 lightbox (halo effect?) around my 16:9 screen. I have a Seleco HT200 and I'm projecting from about 14' away onto a 72x40.5 greyhawk.

I've played with a few things to no avail. Are there any other solutions? Scalers, etc? I really want to avoid having to put masking all over my wall.

Thanks in advance.

-john

·
Registered
719 Posts
Sorry John. There is no projector setting to eliminate the light spill. There are basically three techniques to control it:

1) Anamorphic lens- Compresses or expands light path to the 16:9 shape

2) Masking around the viewable area of the screen.

3) Aperture mask- essentially masking near the lens of the projector to block the light

Good luck. Others will probably have other ideas, or be able to relate their experience. Welcome to the forum.

Jeff Streitz

Iowa City, IA

·
Registered
683 Posts
John - Jeff is correct, these are the three ways to deal with the 4:3 "halo". I put black masking on my entire screen wall to help. It looks better than I thought it would. It also helps cut down on reflections which helps with apparent contrast and black level.

If it makes you feel any better, I was at a high end dealer for a demo of the Dwin Transview, $13k DLP. The salesman said Dwin's recommended fix for the halo is to cut a slot in your lens cap,(apeture mask). I ask if Dwin would do this for you for $13k http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Reed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeffrey and Reed,

Thanks for the info. I figured as much. I think I'll give the aperture mask a try. Since I've got a hushbox on order I imagine I can just attach the mask to the front of the hushbox.

Do all 4:3 projectors have this problem? I love everything else about my projector but I'm sure that light spill robs a lot of contrast.

Thanks again guys.

-john

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.