AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using a Westinghouse computer LCD that includes a range of inputs since it's on my desk and makes it convenient for using wheels in racing games on the 360 and PS3. I don't have the model number handy, but can post it if it's important.

I've been fairly pleased with the picture quality of my Xbox 360 via 1080p component, but there's a good bit of overscan that I can't seem to address in the various settings menus on the LCD. The manual for the monitor was also of no help.

Also, I can't get a true 16:9 picture since it's filling the screen area of my 16:10 monitor (I don't really notice any distortion, but it's annoying since I know it's not correct) and there are no settings on the 360 that I can use to fix it (Such as having it output a 16:10 picture).

Is the answer to buy a VGA cable and hook it up that way to resolve my overscan and aspect ratio issues?

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
depends... does the xbox do a VGA resolution to match the native resolution of your monitor? you said 1080p, so i'm going to assume your 16:10 res is 1920x1200.... if thats the case you cant match it, but VGA may be your best choice for no overscan, and possibly properly formatted 16:9

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/19512303

depends... does the xbox do a VGA resolution to match the native resolution of your monitor? you said 1080p, so i'm going to assume your 16:10 res is 1920x1200.... if thats the case you cant match it, but VGA may be your best choice for no overscan, and possibly properly formatted 16:9

I can't choose any special resolutions, which I believe the VGA adapter would allow (Just the typical ones like 720p, 1080p, etc.).

I believe the native resolution is 1920x1200, so 1080p is the closest I can get to it to minimize the scaling the monitor has to do.

Further esearch seems to indicate I possibly could get what I want with a VGA adapter, so I guess I'll take the chance.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Is Display Discovery disabled under display settings?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume that's in the section titled "Screen Format" within the display menu?

That entire section is grayed out for me and inaccessible. In the display settings menu, I can just choose the resolution (Just among 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p), black levels, and screen saver.

Edit - A search seems to indicate that display discovery is an option just when using HDMI. I'm using an older non HDMI 360 that is connected via a component connection to a LCD monitor at my desk.

Looks like I could get 16:10 support if hooked up via HDMI. Hoping to upgrade one of these days as this system has a bit of trouble with it's disc drive, so I guess I'll put up with it for now rather then buying a $40 VGA cable for it.

Would VGA be of any additional benefit over HDMI (Such as allowing 1:1 pixel mapping to cure my overscan problem?).

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
i had similar problems with overscan/underscan when i tried using a 16:10 monitor with my 360, so i just gave up (after trying a handful of PC monitors, all of which had their own scanning issues) and got a 32" 1080p tv to use with my 360 and PC. i'm not sure of the size of your monitor, but small 1080p LCD TV's that accept VGA, Component and HDMI are pretty inexpensive now if you want to go that route...

if you want to try a VGA cable, just get one from monoprice...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
i love monoprice, but their 360 VGA cable is junk, and their shipping charges are insane unless you're ordering a bunch of stuff.

just get the official VGA cable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts