AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was watching the mich/neb game, and i noticed that all the speakers were emmitting this annoying sound. the best way i can desccribe it is it sound like a little insects wings flapping a million times. its more than just a hiss, it has a slight buzz to it. it reminds me of my younger days when i would hook up one of those $20, 200 watt car equilizer boosters to my car stereo.

the sound is there no matter what channel, whether i have it on hdmi or digital optical, i-link, dvd, whatever. when the volume is turned all the way down, you can hear it perfectly. i've had this receiver for about 4 weeks and never noticed it until tonight.....and now its all i here.

anyone else ever experience this? any idea what would solve it? any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Is it the tweeters buzzing? All analog receivers to some extent give off some noise, but you are making it sound like its there irrelevant of volume.

That makes me think there's either

1) something wrong with the receiver (first thing comes to mind was when Logitech released the Z-680s with a poor decoder, it caused the speakers to hiss, even though another model, the z-560s had none whatsoever, so it was clearly not amp related, but do to processing)

or

2) Noise coming from poor grounding. I'm sure someone here can give you advice about how to fix that, maybe with a UPS or power strip.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.....you got me thinking about #2, so i spent about 30 minutes plugging and unplugging everything one at a time. when i unplugged the sub from the panamax sp, the noise stopped. then i plugged it directly into the wall, and the noise came back.....then it stopped. now there is no noise, but the sub doesn't work anymore.

is it possible that the noise was the amp or something going bad in the sub? no matter what i do, there is no noise and the sub does not output sound......but the little led lights up for it. since the sub is about 3 years old and out of warranty, i need to look for a good repair shop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.