AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t stand those logos that stations put in the lower right of the picture, but I thought that at least we were safe from seeing them stamped on premium movie services like HBO. Wrong! Tonight I saw “ActionMAX†superimposed on a Cinemax channel! How disgusting. Are they so deluded as to think that we need a visible reminder of what channel we’re watching—or do they get a discount on their costs for stamping the logo to make it harder for pirates to sell copies. Is it that--like those birdbrained kids who spray paint their names on everything--they are trying to get attention? Or maybe they’ll offer to remove the logos if we’ll pay $50 a year (I’d pay it, actually). The defacement is getting worse, too. The HDTV demo loop here on Time Warner here in Greensboro shows the logo of the originating station that made the travelogue, and then in the upper left corner the logo of our local public TV station “UNC-HD†that is rebroadcasting the travelogue. Because some people currently pay no attention to the logos, I fully expect the perps to start animating the logos before long—so they’ll rotate, flash, slide around, and otherwise become absolutely impossible to ignore, like those ads on some Web pages. Can’t we stop this destructive trend?:mad:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
They're called "bugs" for a reason.

Quote:
Because some people currently pay no attention to the logos, I fully expect the perps to start animating the logos before long—so they’ll rotate, flash, slide around, and otherwise become absolutely impossible to ignore, like those ads on some Web pages.
I guess you don't watch FX, USA, TNT, TBS, or TNN lately. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
You're preaching to the choir. Call HBO and complain. They started putting a logo on the main HBO feeds a couple of years back, and a bunch of people I know and I started calling and complaining. The logo was gone within a week.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do I call HBO? The local cable company? Or is there an address I can write to?:confused:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd still like to know just why all the stations argue that they need to put up those logo bugs. What is their reason?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Well.....

If a station has only Pass through capibilities this may be the only way they have to identify themselves.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Quote:
I fully expect the perps to start animating the logos before long—so they’ll rotate, flash, slide around
FOXNEWS channel already does this.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by era
How do I call HBO? The local cable company? Or is there an address I can write to?:confused:
When the main HBO channel tried putting a bug on the screen in 1996, I called them several times, and sent a letter indicating that I would not continue to support them with my dollars if they continued with that practice. To my surprise, they wrote back to me and said that were removing the logo indefinitely. Below is the address and phone number I used back then -- they're probably still valid:

Home Box Office

1100 Avenue of the Americas

New York, NY 10036

(212) 512-1208

BTW, below is the main text of the letter I received -- I thought the forum residents would enjoy reading it. Try to contain yourselves though, as many of the comments contained within are laugh-out-loud hilarious!:

"As I'm sure you can imagine, some programming decisions will be met with a certain amount of reservation. Very often, innovations are seen as inconveniences. In response to the proliferation of choices on your cable box, we decided to place a small identity graphic on the lower right portion of your screen. It was done with the consumer in mind, however, enabling the viewer immediate identification of the service they've selected. This practice won't appeal to everyone, but it's not without precedent. Other networks have enjoyed some success with this practice for years.

Nevertheless, the integrity of the films and programs we present is of extreme importance, and because we are concerned with the enjoyment of our subscribers, we've removed the logo indefinitely."

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I would expect the sleaze network, FOX, to animate their logo, for the same reason that women of the night swivel their hips when cars pass by.

As for HBO's claim that "It was done with the consumer in mind"...do they think we're slap stupid?

·
Registered
761 Posts
One of my favorite filler channels is "The Biography Channel". Their bug is huge, bright, and multi-colored with barely any transparency. Not only is it annoying and distracting, but it hides information put on the bottom of the screen pertaining to the story line. I did email them (A&E) and their response was that those bugs were necessary to identify their channels. They feel that due to the proliferation of channel surfing, viewers might not know what channel they are watching at any given time. It was obvious they weren't going to make any concessions.

I would be intolerable for any pay channel to follow these methods, especially during movies.

Terry

·
Registered
47 Posts
--------FOXNEWS channel already does this.------

The Fox News logo actually is rotated very slowly. I take it as they have been yelled at about burn in and they are atleast trying to address that without losing it alltogether. If they are gonna have it I am glad they do that with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's worse than that. These bugs can damage the phosphors on the CRT screens (Burn IN). The is particularly true of RPTV. Video games, etc can have the same effect.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've also heard them called "obnoxicons."

Apparently, they don't exist in Great Britain, where viewer outrage quelled any attempts to put them in. Can anyone confirm that?

·
Registered
182 Posts
On the lower right side they have that annoying ABC logo. Completely unnecessary. First of all its says ABC on the upper left scoreboard. And you notice the microphones are 4 sided ABC logos. I think at one point during an interview they actually had 10 ABC logos in the picture at once! Are they so insecure, that after 30 freaking years we have to be reminded its ABC MNF? To me having the scoreboard on the upper left , with the annoying logo on the bottom right, is like sitting at a game where two big people are sitting in front of you.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The question, DR Jax, is whether you belong here. :)

This is the right forum for this topic.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Speaking of obnoxious practices, the TNN logo (and cut off bottom portion of the picture) is so bad I won't watch more than a few minutes of ST:TNG (and I tune in absolutely nothing else on that station).

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Doesn't TNN also squeeze the picture up vertically? Everyone (even on "Babewatch") looks really wide and fat to me.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Yes, TNN does that. Why? Because people complained about the bottom part of the picture being cut off. As though this is any better. I NEVER watch that channel.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kenglish
Doesn't TNN also squeeze the picture up vertically? Everyone (even on "Babewatch") looks really wide and fat to me.
That might be, I haven't watched enough to tell. It doesn't really matter to me because until they change their ways I won't be tuning in. I wouldn't be surprised if they started advertising (during the programming) in that space...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.