AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Here a question for 2.35:1 screen owners.

When watching a 2.35:1 format movie, the screen is in full use. So no black bar and no white section. (supposed you screen is white).

But when watching a 1.85:1 or 1.78:1 movie or HDTV, there a part of the screen that received no projection at all. On a white screen we will have white section or each side of the picture.

My question is how much those whites sections are noticeable and annoying? How much in a complete dark viewing condition and how much with a little light on?

Thanks for your help.

Eric

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
It is really not all that bad I think side bars are less annoying than top and bottom but incorporate some side masking and it will look awesome.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty N8 /forum/post/16917607

It is really not all that bad I think side bars are less annoying than top and bottom but incorporate some side masking and it will look awesome.

I agree. Side bars are much less annoying than top and bottom bars. It is the height of the picture that counts. The wider it is the more field of view, but I have no problem watching old movies in 1.33:1 format on my cinemascope screen.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac /forum/post/16917128

Hi,

When watching a 2.35:1 format movie, the screen is in full use. So no black bar and no white section. (supposed you screen is white).

But when watching a 1.85:1 or 1.78:1 movie or HDTV, there a part of the screen that received no projection at all. On a white screen we will have white section or each side of the picture.

My question is how much those whites sections are noticeable and annoying? How much in a complete dark viewing condition and how much with a little light on?

Thanks for your help.

Eric

If the side pillars were seen as 'white', then any shadow detail in the picture would also be seen as 'white'. Black is defined as the absence of visible light, so in a light controlled room, the side pillars are generally un-noticed. To really enhance the effect, you may want to install side masking.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
If you don't use side masking - then it is very important that your projector does not have light spill. Or those side bars will be further illuminated. As was the case w/ my previous RS1, where in 1:33/1:78/1:85 movies were unwatchable on my scope screen due to the light spill. My replacement RS20 has ZERO light spill - and in my bat-cave the side bars are hardly noticeable. But no doubt side masking would improve my image farther (especially during bright scenes).

·
Registered
28,705 Posts
Put some curtains up over your screen that you can pull in to cover up the unused portions. It's cheap, easy, and looks really nice.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Or, if you have a pull down screen, you can just lower the screen a little more. Zoom - and no more black bars!

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGINC /forum/post/16917785

I agree. Side bars are much less annoying than top and bottom bars. It is the height of the picture that counts. The wider it is the more field of view, but I have no problem watching old movies in 1.33:1 format on my cinemascope screen.

If this is true it will be great...

Thanks all for your help.

Eric

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
I've made manual masks and much improvement for contrast, used them for a while, sometimes though I do get lazy and just leave them on the ground and live with the screen being sorta visible.

I gotta make some power masks, I've studied auto sunroof systems and rear window auto shade systems and have a new concept for power masks I'll be working on this fall.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac /forum/post/16917128

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Eric

Lots of factors will determine this. The darkness of the room, black level capability of the projector, etc... Remember though, if you use a 16:9 screen there are bars at the top and bottom for 2.35:1. Basically there is NO way to eliminate them sans a masking system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts