AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sunflower redux by Paul Carmody. Had crossover boards made and I soldered them (thanks @mtg90) got some wood cut. Finish will be exohide and then a maple boarder with some sort of finish. Can’t wait to hear them! Really cant wait to see what the reference 8" can do, 22hz low end on these should be amazing. Hoping these are the last speakers I build for awhile! Between them, the classix, and the 8 other pairs of speakers I own I should be set. Only thing is I need a center channel to match maybe. Still thinking X-voce.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the sides and top cut to width and dato’d the sides as well as the top of the cabinet. Did some 3/4 rabbets but waiting on a bearing to show up to do a 5/8 rabbet on the mids and tweeters.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the sides and top cut to width and dato’️d the sides as well as the top of the cabinet. Did some 3/4 rabbets but waiting on a bearing to show up to do a 5/8 rabbet on the mids and tweeters.
Looks good! Wish I could hear them tho.../forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
You and me both! Not too much work left.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I got them done. Don’t judge the tv setup lol. That’s a pinnacle p5.5 that’s mainly used to get the tv higher. I was surprised they fit in my 92 stealth twin turbo lol.

So far the sound is very natural and I don’t think I’ve heard a speaker remain as smooth as these with some higher volumes in such a reflective area. Bass is glorious. Being on hard wood suspended floors gets some nice chair shake. I need to look into the port length though as it may be tuned to low right now. Port should be 8 inches long, so that means from the end of it to flush with the baffle/exit right?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So I found that auto set up put the left to 9.0 feet and the right to 9.7 feet. All sound seemed like it was coming from the right. I found that if I got the right to 9.3 feet the sound centered itself and imaging became way better. Interesting thing to stumble on!

Also got the 2" precision ports cut to the correct length for a 23hz tune. Loving the bass on these!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after living with these for 2 weeks, Im really starting to like them! I still want to build those volt 8's with 2 ultimax 8's for low end.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Had crossover boards made and I soldered them (thanks @mtg90)
How did you get crossover boards made?
Is that something that can be done inexpensively for any crossover design or is it just something special for this build?

I hate putting on my reading glasses to figure out a crossover schematic.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sent you a PM.

Watched mission impossible rogue nation last night, The bass is getting better and better, perhaps the rs225 is breaking in? For just 2 speakers a receiver and no "subs" its everything I could ask for. On a suspended hard wood floor and it shakes quite nicely when it needs to lol. Im also using some rubber vibration isolators for feet to try and stop transfer from the bass cabinet straight to the floor and it coloring the bass.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! Not much love for the sunflowers on here but they will be around my house for a long time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts