AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to say I have had bad luck would be an understatement. I am just glad I have the best buy warranty even though they are probably sick of seeing me. Well my 9 month old 360 died at the beginning of January. I switched it out with a new one. Let's see, that one lasted 2 days then the famous 3 red rings appeared. So I exchanged it again for another system. That one died yesterday (2 weeks later) after the DVD drive quit working. So I go tonight to get a new one at an entirely different best buy and guess what? DVD drive is dead as a door nail right out of the box! What the heck is going on??!!! These have all been BRAND NEW systems!! I guess I just have bad luck. So I will go back to best buy on Saturday with my extended warranty (with 5 receipts stapled to it...........lol) to try yet again. When are the cooler more reliable systems coming out again? lol.

By the way, I am not a fanboy as I own a PS3 and a Wii. I am just a little frustrated at this point. Sorry but I needed to vent

·
Registered
3,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR /forum/post/0

Well to say I have had bad luck would be an understatement. I am just glad I have the best buy warranty even though they are probably sick of seeing me. Well my 9 month old 360 died at the beginning of January. I switched it out with a new one. Let's see, that one lasted 2 days then the famous 3 red rings appeared. So I exchanged it again for another system. That one died yesterday (2 weeks later) after the DVD drive quit working. So I go tonight to get a new one at an entirely different best buy and guess what? DVD drive is dead as a door nail right out of the box! What the heck is going on??!!! These have all been BRAND NEW systems!! I guess I just have bad luck. So I will go back to best buy on Saturday with my extended warranty (with 5 receipts stapled to it...........lol) to try yet again. When are the cooler more reliable systems coming out again? lol.

By the way, I am not a fanboy as I own a PS3 and a Wii. I am just a little frustrated at this point. Sorry but I needed to vent

I don't know what to tell you. It's happening all over the place. It's like Microsoft's first round of cost reduction has produced the most unreliable manufacturing process.

Let me tell you something: If you find one that lasts more than a year, hold onto it real tight.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt /forum/post/0

I don't know what to tell you. It's happening all over the place. It's like Microsoft's first round of cost reduction has produced the most unreliable manufacturing process.

Let me tell you something: If you find one that lasts more than a year, hold onto it real tight.

Well I actually had a launch 360 and that one lasted about 2 months before getting dirty disc errors. I got a refurbed one back from Microsoft and that one also had issues. At that point, I gave up and decided to wait a few months. I bought another system from best buy in April 2006 which then died about 9 months later. I guess if you count those original two, I am about to be on my 7th system in a little over a year......crazy. I love the software lineup so I will have to deal with these problems............

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Looks like I will be going through the same thing. After 11 trouble free months my 360 froze up on me two nights ago three different times. Then last night it did the same thing except this time when I restarted it I got the three red rings. Makes me glad I got the BB warranty.

·
Registered
41 Posts
6 months and no issues as of yet. I waited until well after release after experiencing the long term fun of a release PS2 (&$#@*#%&@#&%*@#&*%&*ing laser needing moved around half a dozen times a month). Bottom line is release consoles suck and with constant changes to the supply line to save a buck (like the 360 dvd drives) consoles become unreliable. It was annoying blowing on cartridges, now...

·
Registered
924 Posts
Jesus. How I wonder how many 360s have been sent back? I bet a third of 360's sales are defects.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It definitely bothers me that they obviously haven't fixed any of the problems yet. I firmly believe they extended the warranty to year because they don't want to get sued and they know they have a problem. I doubt they will ever fix it in the current system. Now the new cooler version will probably be fine but they are not about to put money into truly fixing the problem with the ones shipping now. If the software lineup wasn't so appealing, I would probably sell mine now and buy one 6-12 months down the road.............I must have Guitar Hero in March though so my hands are tied

Another strange thing is the first best buy I went to still had systems with a manufacture's date of June/July. How are these systems still on the shelf? When I bought my dad's for christmas in November, it had a manufacture date of October. I guess they are just sitting in a building somewhere and then get shipped out to various stores.

I hope Best Buy doesn't give me any problems tomorrow (it's not like they ever have). My receipt stack is getting big and it gets more embarrasing returning the system each time...............

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I bought my 360 in early November. It was broken out of the box. It would not recognize any game disks. Took it back the next day and swapped it out at Best Buy for another. I usually HATE extended warranties from BB but I bought it after being burned on the first 360 since Msoft was only offering 90 days at the time. My 360 has now been running error free for 3 months. With the BB warranty I am covered until November 2008 so if this one does crap out I can get a quick and easy replacement. I picked the BB extended warranty over that of Msoft because this way I can drop it off on the way to work and get a new one same day instead of waiting for the mailing box. Although I have heard that Msoft has been very good at sending out the boxes quick and getting replacements back to you in a few days.

JS

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermile /forum/post/0

Looks like I will be going through the same thing. After 11 trouble free months my 360 froze up on me two nights ago three different times. Then last night it did the same thing except this time when I restarted it I got the three red rings. Makes me glad I got the BB warranty.

Same exact thing happened to me last night. First a couple freeze ups, then this morning consistently freezing, and finally the 3 rings.

This is my 2nd one, the first had a tray that rattled constantly right out of the box, not good since one of my primary uses is watching movies via the HD-DVD drive.

Anyway, I've had this for just over the 30 day return policy at MicroCenter. I'm kind of in a awkward situation though since.

A) I'm out of the return window

B) The MicoCenter warranty starts AFTER the manufacturer's ends (which may be 9-0 days, or a 1yr, don't know what MicroCenter's Policy is on MS extending the warranty)

C) The MicroCenter warranty is only good for one exchange, so don't know if I want to "waste" it since my manufacturer's warranty is still good, just to save the 2 week turnaround time.

D) I'm also not sure if getting a replacement xbox voids my MicroCenter warranty, since they scanned the S/N

*sigh* I love technology, but apparently it doesnt' love me back.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I am currently on my second box and 2nd hard drive. I haven't had any problems other than issues with COD3 freezing on the first big battle. I have tried the full version of the game and the demo that came with the xbox mag. GOW and HD DVD player work fine. Not sure if it is just a COD3 problem or my box.

·
Registered
410 Posts
this problem with the 360's is the reason they have sold over 10 million, they just fail to say that maybe 4% of that 10 million are replacements, maybe even more.

btw, im on my second 360, and my buddy that just got married got his replaced twice as well.

·
Registered
301 Posts

Quote:

Mine has been flawless since release day
. /crossfingers

It has kind of loud fans and a ridiculously loud DVD drive though

I hope it stays that way; its out of warranty now.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts

Quote:

I have two that are working 100% from the launch. Exactly how tight do you recomend to ensure their continued flawless performance?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mine is doing the "disk not clean" thing more and more often now. The disks are spotless too. I'm convinced it's an overheating issue. My system is less than 2 months old. What an absolute POS. Fun as hell when it works though. But nothing makes me madder than being down to 2 terrorists in an intense terrorist hunt and that error message pops up.

·
Registered
327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villanman /forum/post/0

Launch day 360, Heavy use, zero problems

If I didn't read this forum I would be oblivious to any faults about the reliability of the 360.

Mention sound or reliability issues when your in a match on Live and see the response you'll get.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Another launch system here, as do most of my friends.

We don't need a new thread for 360 problems. Please use the stickies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.