AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and apologize for covering old ground, but I would love to get some of your thoughts on which way I should go for my next TV purchase. My current top choices are:

1) Sony 40XBR700

2) Loewe Aconda

I've basically decided on a tube because the lighting environment at my home would not be suitable for projection. I currently watch digital cable TV half the time and DVDs the other half -- it really makes it tough to weigh the 16:9 and 4:3 advantages. I've read so many things here about things like the Sony making poor signals look worse and possible support issues with Loewe in the US that my head is starting to spin with all the pros and cons. At this point I'm leaning towards the Sony because of sheer size and dollar savings. Would I be making a mistake in your opinions?

PS -- My current TV is a 32 inch Panny Tau HD-Monitor, so I believe I am getting a significant upgrade with either of these sets.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I believe both models quoted do not include a tuner. Add the tuner, and they are well over $4000. My advice: buy TWO RCA F38310's, one for the family room, one for the bedroom. The RCA is now under $2000, tuner included.

Note: some Sony's include a tuner, but for OTA only. You still have to buy a separate tuner for satellite. The RCA tuner is OTA and DirecTV, plug and play!

Don't even think 4x3.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response Andrew. I will definitely start doing some more research on the RCA based on your advice.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The choice on 4:3 or 16:9 is a personal one that only you can answer depending on the main use for the set. I have had a 16:9 RPTV set for 3 years in my home theater, however I found we still watched TV almost exclusively in the family room on an old Toshaiba TV. I made the choice to pick up a 4:3 HD monitor for the family room as most of the programming we watch is in 4:3 format. Strange but I picked up the Panasonic 32" you are replacing. I now find that the panasonic only does 16:9 when fen a 1080i signal. This defeats the reason I picked up the set as I still have to watch most programs through the SVid input.

Technology is frustrating..... With the majority of the programming we watch every week still being in 4:3 format for at least the next 4 years I don't want to switch to a 16:9 set at this time. I do prefer 16:9 for movies etc. but I have the 60" RPTV for that purpose.

So the bottom line is thing about how you want to use the set and understand the limitations of the set.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I replaced a dying RCA 25" (design flaw, unfortunately I didn't know about the class action suit til it was too late to collect) with the 40XBR700. The new one is coming out in Aug? so there are also deals to be had on the 700...I paid $3K, you might get one for a few hundred less now, or wait til the new one (you can turn off DRC, use a memory stick to show pictures, its DVI ready.) Granted I had one speck on the screen and just got a replacement set but Im super picky so most wouldnt even bother. This set is great for cable (I dont even have a dvd player yet) - if you have a good digital cable picture, this tv will make the strong channels great, the weaker ones ok, like analog cable, no better no worse. But the 16:9 picture at 36.7" is awesome, flat and perfect color, crisp picture, great sound, I love this TV. I know another guy who's Proscan (Thompson) crapped out on him as well...if I'm not mistaken, Lowe uses the same tube as the RCA - it is 38" but its not flat and it is domestic...so I quickly discounted it. Good luck with your choice - just make sure you line up a proper entertainment center and 3 moving guys to deliver the Sony cuz its like 308 LBS and its not going anywhere once they put it down..unless of course your stand breaks..so make sure you pick a nice spot and a good stand ahead of time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The Sony's sometime suffer from uneven brightness and that can be a problem. The flat screen is very nice, of course. But the Loewe is easily the best direct view set i have ever seen. It's also very expensive.

It's a choice between 4:3 and 16x9. Which will you prefer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd like to thank everyone again for all of their input. I'm thankful to have stumbled into this wonderful community -- makes me feel less alone when making this difficult and costly choice. I am still very much in favor of the Sony at this point, but will likely take some time to let it digest before pulling the trigger. I'll let you all know where it all falls out in the end.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm with Bobo- the Sony 40" is awesome! No complaints except it is a heavy critter- 300+ pounds. I watch mostly digital satellite TV with a few DVDs on my TOshiba SD4700.

·
Banned
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
The Sony's sometime suffer from uneven brightness and that can be a problem. The flat screen is very nice, of course. But the Loewe is easily the best direct view set i have ever seen. It's also very expensive.

It's a choice between 4:3 and 16x9. Which will you prefer?
Thats strange, I looked carefully at the 38" Rca twice now and think its one of the worst looking tube sets going. 4:3 viewing(zoom) is a nitemare & 16:9 was *easily* bested from the XBR40 that was right next to it. My buddies store have two 38" floor models with 1100.00 tags on them. One of the audio shops i deal with has an Anaconda 38 for 5k but its never turned on, ill check it out next time I go. At 5k no matter how good it looks its really a major ripoff imo and it still has that distorted curved screen. If I had to purchase a tube 16:9 tube it would be from phillips or Sony (34xbr2) which blow the RCA away in picture quality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.