AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay gang, I've got another 5099 "feature" for you.

Now, whenever I do a local channel scan, after the scan is complete, the only channels checked are the broadcast stations that the APG doesn't know about. This includes the little, local independents and the sub-channels of the digital stations, if they're broadcasting any sub-channels. All of the OTA stations that DirecTV offers as LIL and all of the digital stations that DirecTV pushes down the PSIP info. for are listed, but not checked.

Now every time I have to do a channel scan to pick up new stations or re-enter them after they've adjusted PSIP info. means I have to manually re-check all of the major OTA locals. What a pain. It used to leave everything checked.

One other thing that does seem better, however, is that a minor power loss doesn't seem to lose all of the OTA configuration anymore. After 5046, the smallest power blink would erase all of the local OTA info. and I'd have to rescan everything after every little power failure. Since 5099, it seems to retain the info. Weird stuff.

I really, really wish they'd let us communicate with the AGP division so that we could fix things in the database. I have several duplicate channels that include stations on the same channel number, but from different markets that cannot be received here (i.e. from out of state and way far away!). In the channel lists, the duplicates are tied to one another, so disabling one gets both the incorrect, out-of-market listing and the correct local listing, also. It's either both on or both off. Sigh...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
cfruci - I suspect you just have the standard reset issue everyone has had with the 5099 download. There are several threads here discussing it and what seems to be the solution for most people - clearing out your zip code and rentering it. The STB then reacquires all the local data for your zip code.

If this does not work you should repost here and someone will help you!

bandito - this is a problem I don't think I have seen posted before. Have you tried starting again with the zip code delete and re-enter? If it does not work try another zip code close to you (same OTA). If you are getting out-of-state channels in the guide then the APG data must be a complete mess. What is your zip code, maybe you can find someone else with the same zip code and see if they are having the same problem...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
texasbrit,

It's only about 4 channels and I've seen it on the store setups as well. It's a simple database problem but DirecTV denies the existence of anything to do with APG. It's a very minor annoyance.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yes I understand. The whole APG project is very ambitious, getting the database correct for every zip code must be extremely difficult but like you I do not understand why Direct TV can't communicate with its customers. After all we're doing all the testing (which can't really be done by the Direct TV test team, they would need to be physically located in every zip code to test out all the options) so it would have been sensible for Direct TV to have an e-mail address you could mail to when you identified an APG isasue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.