AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am receiving my dish 6000 system tomorrow. I need to set up the dish 300 to point to 61.5. Here are my questions

1) besides the dish/receiver what else do I need? A compass, cables or do they come in the package?

2) I think I can figure out the azimuth and elevation from the receiver set up screen by putting in my zip code? How do you set it on the dish? Is there a dial or something on the dish?

3) How hard is it to connect the various pieces of the dish? I have never done anything like this before and I am not eligible for the new customer dish install.

Thanks for your help in advance.

------------------

Eram

---------------------

TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

·
Registered
80 Posts
From my recent experience you need:

1 A compass and RG6 cable with an "F" type connector on each end to connect the dish LNB to the 6000. The 6000 is delivered with all the video cables you need including the YPrPb coax's

2 I have a 500 dish but the 300 should be similar. There is an calibrated (in degrees) elevation adjustment which you set to the coordinates from the TV screen and then tighten the clamps. You need to use the compass to set the azimuth using the LNB support as the center line.

3 Its relatively easy to assemble and connect, you need a Philips head screwdriver and a couple of AF wrenches but I found it very very difficult to acquire the Satellite when I had the Sat Dish on a tripod.

Hope this will help

Keith

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
1) Most set ups do not come with cables, you should check with who you bought it from to see or wait for it to come (like I'm sure you want to do that http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ). You can buy dish install kits at some home improvement or electronics stores that have cable and a cheap compass which will probably work for your use. If you have a real compass, use that, whatever you do make sure you hold the compass a couple of feet from the dish as that hunk of metal may affect the reading. You could also just buy a spool of cable from a home improvement store and get a crimping tool to put your own ends on it, that way you will not have a spool of extra cable lying around if the stock lenghts do not suit your needs. RG-6 is what you need, you can get some RG-6Q quad shieled cable to be extra safe.

2)you can get your az and el from the receiver, once you plug it in. They reference scales are stamped on the dish bracket itself and there is usually a page or 2 of instructions with the dish explaning what they are, plus the book with the 6000 also covers this. If you are hooking up to an existing system and putting in switches, make sure that you get the 61.5 signal with a direct run to the 6000 first, then hook up your switches and run a switch check, otherwise just hook it up. I usually run a temporary cable to just get the dish aligned, then start running the "real" cable run. This can help troubleshooting if you can't find the signal at first since it eleminates any hidden problems.

3) it is relatively easy to hook this stuff up, most people can do it, they just don't think they can. Just make sure that you sue a torpedo or other small level to make mast arm plumb.

·
Registered
263 Posts
1) besides the dish/receiver what else do I need? A compass, cables or do they come in the package?

Cables do not come in the basic kit. They come in the separately available install kit. Or you can get them from your local TV antenna/Electronics store. A compass would be nice, but if you know true south (180 degree) from your install location, you should be able to guesstimate the angle.

2) I think I can figure out the azimuth and elevation from the receiver set up screen by putting in my zip code? How do you set it on the dish? Is there a dial or something on the dish?

The dish has elevation marks that will get you close. That and your guesstimate of azimuth should produce a signal by panning back and forth. The key is to have the mount positioned perfectly vertical. You will need a good level, and check on all sides. Once you get a signal, then you need to go back forth from az to el to get the best possible reading. You will want to take a small TV out with you, as it will be a lot easier to see and hear the signal level indications.

3) How hard is it to connect the various pieces of the dish? I have never done anything like this before and I am not eligible for the new customer dish install.

All there is is the cable from the dish to your STB, then the cables to your set. If the dish is on your roof, a ground block for lightning strikes would be smart. This and the cables would be available from any place that sell TV antennas.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your help!!

I cant wait for the system to arrive. I have an existing dish system so I will try to connect to the 301 receiver first and then proceed to the 6000. Since I am installing on a balcony and the TV is just inside the room next to it I think that part will be easy.

I am going to use a mast in a concrete filled bucket bc I need height to see 61.5. I just need a compass and cables.

How strong a signal do you need? I heard 75.

Just out of curiosity, where do you buy mounting blocks. My existing dish facing 110/101 is set on one which was installed by a professional.

------------------

Eram

---------------------

TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

·
Registered
730 Posts
Did you buy the model 6023 kit? If so, it comes with everything you need except the tools. (It comes with cables, mounting hardware, switches, a compass, etc. . . pretty much *everything*.) The tools needed depend on how you will mount the dish but generally consist of a couple screwdrivers, a 7/16 wrench, pliers, and a drill. If you are handy at all, it should be no problem. The only tricky part is lining it up to acquire the signal. Move the dish real slowly as you scan . . . it takes a couple seconds for the receiver to register the signal. I scanned by doing: slight move, wait 3 seconds, slight move, wait 3 seconds, slight move, wait 3 seconds, slight move, wait 3 seconds, etc. until you get the signal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.