AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking about acoustic panels, bass traps etc. I have a fairly odd shaped and large room and have some questions (see attached sketch of my room).

In the picture the red line is my 110" screen (my JBL L880s are right next to the screen, not drawn), the gray box is my subwoofer (Rythmik LV12R), blue line is a pull out couch and green line is a sectional. I guess my main question is, is my sub too far from the corners for corner bass traps to be effective? Also, panels are really only an option on the right wall by the stairs, since the other left side is open to another part of the room.

Currently I'm thinking about 2 24x48x2" panels for the right wall, one of each of the same behind each floor standing speaker, and maybe either tri traps or GIK 244 panels for the corner(s). Any input would be greatly apprecaited!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Probably not the response you're hoping for:

Put up a wall and close off the "blue" section. Move screen to lower wall. Make sure you have a door to close to the stairs.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had actually considered something similar at one point, but two things are keeping me from doing that, one being my wife, no way she's going for that, and two, I prefer to keep it more open as I like to also entertain down there for football and baseball. I know I'm limiting myself by doing that, but I'm trying to just work with what I have.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Maybe instead of a wall separating the "blue section", what about some absorption panels on stands (optimally placed re reflections) to partially block that section? Plus the panels on the right wall, those'll be important. Yeah a door of any type, even a cheap folding one, would be good to "block" the stairwell. Can't usefully put tri-corner bass traps up front, but in back behind the sectional would be good.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The floor is a floating laminate with an underlayment between it and the concrete sub-floor, between the sectional and the screen is a big 8x10 shag throw rug and a ~2ftx2ft ottoman. On the ceiling I just have some black velvet for light adsorption. The bass in the room is very boomy, based on REW I'm not getting decay until about 800 ms in the waterfall graphs. I also feel my overall sound is very "nasaly" if that makes sense, like I missing a lot of mid-bass.

I have also thought about panels on stands, not sure how my wife would react to that, but it is something I've considered.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If you can I would flip the screen to lower wall. That is going to give you much better symmetry in front of the room, which is pretty important. At that point I would just treat the room with as much bass trapping in corners as possible with deep absorption/diffusion for the back wall. You also need absorption for the early reflection points. You can use the following videos to give you a hand.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/educational-videos/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts