AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another screen builder here, seeking painting advice.

My basement theatre was approaching completion, and I set myself a 2 week goal to have its inaugural showing (Saturday 11th December). Even if construction continued after that date, that's fine, but I'm expecting some friends over on Saturday.

I was a bit of a maverick and went ahead to do things differently from most people here. No Sintra, gatorfoam etc. I figured that since some people simply paint their walls, made of drywall, that it would be fine to mount a 105"x59" (16:9 120" diagonal) sheet of drywall on my wall. The reason it is on the wall is that originally we'd built a recess in the wall to house a

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the tip! Unfortunately, BestBuy Canada doesn't stock that sort of DIY equipment. I could look at another home improvement store for some comparison shopping, though. I may be making a trip to Plattsburg NY soon though, and I'll do it there, possibly. However, it won't help for Saturday's UFC event!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm new to this myself so can't really help much. I painted my screen on last week. You really shouldn't have to sand unless you do roll on the primer or if you have any runs. Just be sure to practice spraying on some scrap before you spray the screen.

This is what I did for my screen. I also use drywall. I went ahead and hung drywall on the whole wall. This left me with two seams that I spend forever on to make sure they were smooth and flat. I decided to roll on the primer because I felt diluting it wouldn't allow a thick coat. I sanded in between the two coats of primer with 600 grit sandpaper and used some 1500 grit on the final sand. I probably didn't have to go to the 1500 but figured it wouldn't hurt. If you spray your primer on you don't have to sand but probably wouldn't hurt. I think I remember reading a post by MM that he no longer felt the sanding necessary if sprayed. Once I was ready to spray on the top coat I shot at a spare sheet of drywall until I got the gun set up to where I wanted it. I edned up putting on 3 coats of the mix. I went with the LL because my HT is in the basement, it has lower lumens, and it completely light controlled. I didn't sand in between the three top coats. The only time I think i would sand the top coat is if I had any runs. Just be sure to go fast enough and you'll be fine. Also make sure your basement isn't freezing cold. I read another post where someone had some problems with runs due to the cold. it was too cold for the paint to "tack up" or quickly start the drying process so it ran in a spot or two. The guy corrected by sanding and it took care of the run just fine though.

So after taping the drywall I applied "sheetrock first coat". This is some thick stuff that is suppose to hide any imperfections. I know you won't have any joints but may have some screw holes covered with joint compound. If not you probably don't really need the sheetrock first coat. I also sanded between the two coats of it. I then rolled on primer hoping for thicker coverage and applied two coats sanding between coats. If you do spray on the primer you may want to hit it with a few extra coats since it will be thinned down. I then sprayed three coats of the LL mix. Overall my screen turned out great! Just be sure to check for any imperfections between coats and lightly sand if need be.

I know you're planning on painting here soon so your screen is ready for Saturday. But if for some reason you end up wanting to do one of the mixes in the future I would be more than happy to pick up the supplies here and mail them to you. Not counting the poly or the ultra white latex the total cost was right around $20.

I know I wasn't really any help but I'm sure MM will be around to give advice.

Best of luck to you and your screen!

Brian

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoots76 /forum/post/19612666

I'm new to this myself so can't really help much. I painted my screen on last week. You really shouldn't have to sand unless you do roll on the primer or if you have any runs. Just be sure to practice spraying on some scrap before you spray the screen.

This is what I did for my screen. I also use drywall. I went ahead and hung drywall on the whole wall. This left me with two seams that I spend forever on to make sure they were smooth and flat. I decided to roll on the primer because I felt diluting it wouldn't allow a thick coat. I sanded in between the two coats of primer with 600 grit sandpaper and used some 1500 grit on the final sand. I probably didn't have to go to the 1500 but figured it wouldn't hurt. If you spray your primer on you don't have to sand but probably wouldn't hurt. I think I remember reading a post by MM that he no longer felt the sanding necessary if sprayed. Once I was ready to spray on the top coat I shot at a spare sheet of drywall until I got the gun set up to where I wanted it. I edned up putting on 3 coats of the mix. I went with the LL because my HT is in the basement, it has lower lumens, and it completely light controlled. I didn't sand in between the three top coats. The only time I think i would sand the top coat is if I had any runs. Just be sure to go fast enough and you'll be fine. Also make sure your basement isn't freezing cold. I read another post where someone had some problems with runs due to the cold. it was too cold for the paint to "tack up" or quickly start the drying process so it ran in a spot or two. The guy corrected by sanding and it took care of the run just fine though.

So after taping the drywall I applied "sheetrock first coat". This is some thick stuff that is suppose to hide any imperfections. I know you won't have any joints but may have some screw holes covered with joint compound. If not you probably don't really need the sheetrock first coat. I also sanded between the two coats of it. I then rolled on primer hoping for thicker coverage and applied two coats sanding between coats. If you do spray on the primer you may want to hit it with a few extra coats since it will be thinned down. I then sprayed three coats of the LL mix. Overall my screen turned out great! Just be sure to check for any imperfections between coats and lightly sand if need be.

I know you're planning on painting here soon so your screen is ready for Saturday. But if for some reason you end up wanting to do one of the mixes in the future I would be more than happy to pick up the supplies here and mail them to you. Not counting the poly or the ultra white latex the total cost was right around $20.

I know I wasn't really any help but I'm sure MM will be around to give advice.

Best of luck to you and your screen!

Brian

Brian, are you kidding me? That was incredibly helpful, and I'm glad I caught someone new who is willing to share and help. Thanks so much for offering to get the supplies for me; I may take you up on that, and if so, I'll pay for shipping and some more for your trouble of course. Where are you located?

Everything you wrote was clear, except what LL is - it must be a mix that I missed somewhere in all my reading. Is it a Low Lumens modification of something? It seems that many of these SILVERs, mudds etc. were formulated a few years ago, and much of the discussion about them isn't current. S for new readers, it's difficult to know which mix is more suitable for their applications than the others. Given the info below, does anyone think LL would work for me?

Here's some more info pertaining to my situation:

It's a light controlled basement.

- The room is 16 ft long by about the same wide, but not square.

- The projector will be at about 13 feet.

- The screen is currently 116", but will be 120" soon.

- Projector is an Epson 8350, with under an hour on the lamp. Not sure if this situation/projector is considered a low lumens one or not. It's not mounted yet, but there will be a custom made aluminium shelf being made for it. For Saturday, I've got a cheap Monoprice mount for it coming.

- The screen is on a dark burgandy wall with a soffit the same colour. With the lights off, the screen does seem to "float" in darkness.

- The screen was made from two sheets of drywall, but my contractor is a magician who can make seams disappear to the naked eye. I can't tell it was ever two pieces now. I should add that I'm doing none of the construction myself; rather it's all J-P with the brainstorming done between us.

- I think we'll probably just roll a neutral grey for the weekend and then add a proper mix with the right spray.

- This is my first projector, so anything is going to wow me!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharami /forum/post/19615136

heh it seems there are a bunch of us newbs just running around like chicken with their heads cut off, trying to make sense of all the info here. cant offer you much help, other than LL means MaxxMudd LL
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1139061

seems it is the only mix in the MaxxMudd family that can be rolled

Great! Thanks very much for the info and the extra snippet about rolling.

·
Premium Member
14,891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit /forum/post/19611020

I appreciate the tip! Unfortunately, BestBuy Canada doesn't stock that sort of DIY equipment. I could look at another home improvement store for some comparison shopping, though. I may be making a trip to Plattsburg NY soon though, and I'll do it there, possibly. However, it won't help for Saturday's UFC event!

I have NO idea why I said best buy, I meant Home Depot!! haha my bad wasnt thinking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would think your projector is pretty darn bright. At least it is compared to mine. Your Epson is rated at 2000 lumens and my older, used one is 800 lumens. That's why I went with the LL (which Aharami filled in on that). The LL is so light that by looking at it you would swear there's not a drop of silver paint in it even though there's 10 oz. of silver and 3 oz. of gold. I'm guessing most of the mixes are like this unless you compared it to something completely white.

Like I said before, I'm also new so can't make any recommendations on which mix to use. I would think that since your room is completely light controlled that you could go with the LL. I think the darker mixes are more for ambient light issues.

If you were anything like me all of the decisions almost seem overwhelming. Trust me when I say not to worry. Just go with the mix that will be recommended and you will be amazed with the picture. Heck, even if you just rolled on the LL you will still be amazed! I would highly recommend spraying though.

You said you may just roll on some gray paint for the weekend just to get by. If you do end up doing this, but plan on spraying one of the mixes on later down the road, I would make sure you sprayed on a few coats of primer on top of the paint or do some light sanding. Latex paint doesn't sand the best but it will work.

You may be able to type your projector brand and model in the search box on the forum and come across another thread and see what was done by someone else.

I live in Illinois. I don't expect you to throw in any extra if I mail you the supplies. In fact, if you do, you will be getting it right back in the mail! Seriously, it's not a problem.

Don't over think the screen process like I did. I can assure you that you will be very pleased with whatever you choose to do.

Here's a thread not too far down from yours. MM recommended the LL. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1285885

Oh man, now I'm over thinking your screen!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tip and the link to the thread; it's just one of many I've read and re-read and bookmarked... but then upon reading other threads, just gets lost in the swirl.

Every aspect of my home theatre has now been "over-thought" to death. I think I'm going to be pleased with the end results though. I wanted to start a thread in the room construction subforum entitled, "The how not to do it home theatre."

We really went in with one vision and it evolved into something a lot more complex, expensive and ultimately satisfying, I hope!

I think I'll go with the LL. Thank you very much again for your willingness to help out not just with words (which are very much appreciated), but with actions too! I have an address in the US, just across the border, which I have stuff shipped to; that makes it easier for people in the US to get things to me. Let me do my due diligence to see if I can get the materials somewhere locally in Montreal for a reasonable cost/wait time. If I fail, I'll be in touch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoots76 /forum/post/19618061

I would think your projector is pretty darn bright. At least it is compared to mine. Your Epson is rated at 2000 lumens and my older, used one is 800 lumens. That's why I went with the LL (which Aharami filled in on that). The LL is so light that by looking at it you would swear there's not a drop of silver paint in it even though there's 10 oz. of silver and 3 oz. of gold. I'm guessing most of the mixes are like this unless you compared it to something completely white.

Like I said before, I'm also new so can't make any recommendations on which mix to use. I would think that since your room is completely light controlled that you could go with the LL. I think the darker mixes are more for ambient light issues.

If you were anything like me all of the decisions almost seem overwhelming. Trust me when I say not to worry. Just go with the mix that will be recommended and you will be amazed with the picture. Heck, even if you just rolled on the LL you will still be amazed! I would highly recommend spraying though.

You said you may just roll on some gray paint for the weekend just to get by. If you do end up doing this, but plan on spraying one of the mixes on later down the road, I would make sure you sprayed on a few coats of primer on top of the paint or do some light sanding. Latex paint doesn't sand the best but it will work.

You may be able to type your projector brand and model in the search box on the forum and come across another thread and see what was done by someone else.

I live in Illinois. I don't expect you to throw in any extra if I mail you the supplies. In fact, if you do, you will be getting it right back in the mail! Seriously, it's not a problem.

Don't over think the screen process like I did. I can assure you that you will be very pleased with whatever you choose to do.

Here's a thread not too far down from yours. MM recommended the LL. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1285885

Oh man, now I'm over thinking your screen!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far, it's an N8.5 Behr Exterior 4850(?), with a few imperfections.
Some pics, still under construction:

To come:

Maxxmudd LL after dealing with imperfections.

3" Velvet trim

Width speakers to be installed for a total of 14 in-wall and 2 subwoofers, resulting in an 11.2 system. The centre channel comprises 4 speakers in a series-parallel format - two above and two below the screen.

The speaker grilles will also be painted burgandy, rendering them invisible during movies, although I'm considering keeping the border white, as other elements around the room will have a white molding too.

.The yellow gap on the right in the last pic is where an AV cabinet will be housed/

It actually sounds very good, so far, even without the height and width speakers active and in the absence of the subs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts