AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've pretty much given up on the aluminum sheet idea for now. Been busy these past couple of weeks trying out various aluminum paints.

I've tried the Rustoleum Aluminum 7715, Behr Silver Metallic 743, Krylon Chrome Aluminum (spray can), Rustoleum Silver Metallic 1915 (spray can) and a brand named Five Star Liquid Aluminum.

The Five Star Liquid Aluminum is the one that actually comes very very close to the reflectiveness of the aluminum foil dull side.

Five Star Liquid Aluminum:

Mineral Spirits 64742-47-8

Aluminum 7429-90-5

Alkyd N/A.

Since I'm going the paint route I picked up on thursday an HVLP sprayer from homedepot. A Cambpell Hausfeld Easy Spray model HV1001 sug. retail $198 from homedepot $140 because the box was a little messed up and it was the last one they had. Can't beat that. It should be good enough for what I'm doing.

Once I start painting, waiting for a nice dry spell here in NY it's been rediculously humid these past couple of weeks, I will post pictures of the screen in paint progress.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Have you considered mixing the 5star with anything? There was another thread here recently where aluminum was mixed with a couple other paints. It sounded pretty good for use with ambient light. Of course if the 5star turns out well without mixing, so much the better.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time
Have you considered mixing the 5star with anything? There was another thread here recently where aluminum was mixed with a couple other paints. It sounded pretty good for use with ambient light. Of course if the 5star turns out well without mixing, so much the better.
Yeah, I was just reading that thread about the Tremclad Aluminum. Right before I was going to post my update on what screen I'm going to do.

Anyway, I was going to put it straight on top of an undercoat of benjamin moore's super white semi-gloss latex. The test I made with these aluminum paints was on white 22"x24" poster boards. I tried the non-glossy side and the glossy side of these boards and the Aluminum paints did better on the glossy side. Can't wait until I start painting.

I've never spray painted (other than a can) before. I hope I do okay. Good thing there are two sides on this MDF board. :)

Here's a quick picture I took of the first paint I tried the Five Star (a roller was used). You will also notice the three small samples I got from this sheet metal company on top of the paint sample. The sheet sample was less reflective than the paints.:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3svsf/a...minumpaint.jpg

It's strange. It looks dark but it reflects like a champ.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's not a good idea to paint an oil based paint over a latex paint. You might want to check with a local paint shop pro or wait for one of the paint gurus here to advise what you may want to use instead. I'm guessing an oil based primer would be best, but I really don't know. Hope it all turns out well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's not a good idea to paint an oil based paint over a latex paint. You might want to check with a local paint shop pro or wait for one of the paint gurus here to advise what you may want to use instead. I'm guessing an oil based primer would be best, but I really don't know. Hope it all turns out well.

Oh, I never gave that a thought. Thanks for the heads up on that and will look into it before I do anything.

EDIT: Finish Paint: Latex Paint will bond to latex or oil primer. Oil finish paint will bond to the latex or oil primer, but may not always work out so well over the latex due to the higher flexibility of the latex.

Akkk, I forgot about the different properties of the paint. It doesn't have to be white I guess. I could just put two coats of Aluminum paint or would you recommend I still give it a white undercoat?

Quote:
I Hope it all turns out well.
Thanks, me too. :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
There are primers that will work with both oil or latex. You could paint it over the latex you have on now, then spray the oil over that. You could also paint any other material you will use for a screen and then the oil based paint. I don't recall the name now, but most home repair places or paint stores should have it in stock. It is a shellac based product I believe.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for all the responses.

I finally cleared out the room I'm going to be setting up as my theater and doing the painting. I have a good window of opportunity here in NY. The temperature is nice and cool and the humidity is very low and will be until saturday. I probably could start tonight but want to do this while I'm not tired so it will be tomorrow.

I just have a few more questions reguarding the painting. Does one paint the MDF board laying down or leaning against a wall. I read in one thread to lay it down to avoid paint sag but then I thought that would make it more prone to any spitting from the spray gun (assuming there is any since I haven't tried this HVLP sprayer yet). Any suggestions?

I was also looking at a thread I had forgotten about that someone gave directions to in an earlier post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=tryg . The metallic finish aluminum (#27 in the reference link) looks more like the dull side of aluminum foil than any alumimun paint I've tried. Including the rustoleum aluminum 7715 in the small can which, as I have stated, looks like the five star aluminum but reflects less. I am assuming this metallic finish is only available in a spray can.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have. And have developed a mixture that is very close to my aluminum solution. Still trying to improve performance. Will reveal my solution in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just wanted to agree with Magnification on the 5 star, I have also tried Behr and Rustoleum and find the 5 Star to be brighter. However, take a look at the Benjamin Moore Outdoor Aluminum paint. I found this to be lighter and brighter than all the others including the 5 Star. It is also extremely thin, rolls even coats very easily and levels very well. And like you said Mag, wait for a dry day. I live in NYC also and just finished making my SM Mud screen and it took almost 3 days for one coat of the BJ aluminum paint to completely dry. =/ But when I was finished it was smooth as glass with no sanding.

On a side note, oil based paints are great IF you can paint your screen while it lays horizontally. The self leveling qualities of oil based paints correct a lot of rolling mistakes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.