Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It had to happen didn't it...

I tell Shawn not to ship my Pannie and low and behold I get my email that the first one is shipping (possibly should have done that earlier ??) Plus I have been scanning ebay for any weird anamorphic (like the super and ultra Panatars) and look at this beast !!! Its true Murphies law at play, no sooner do I not want one than it is there... Same thing last week with deciding I wanted a 3 DLP and then seeing unbelievable bargains (2.5k for a XGA 3 DLP !!) all sold in the week before I contacted them !!! The curse of Lono at play !!!

Its certainly big enough for almost anything we may want to put through it but I am guessing focal lengths are the probable downfall...

Who is going to be brave (and strong http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ) enough to try it ???

------------------
New email [email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

[This message has been edited by Phat Phreddy (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Phreddy,

I inquired about the 3 chip XGA DLP as well, but the bulb price and availability scared me off. 600 dollars more than a D-ILA bulb, plus the hassle of reconfiguring my room to mount a 80#PJ on the ceiling deterred me. Frankly, I would purchase a 9" CRT first. Did I actually type that?

Ignorance is truly bliss!!

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

[This message has been edited by Don O'Brien (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
6,660 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I *did* buy the Ampro 3-chip DLP. Well, at least I thought I did, with my check in his hand, the guy decided to sell it to someone else for $3K more last week. So, you probably couldn't have bought it even if you had succumbed to the temptation.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Phat

That is not a good lens.

As mentioned the aperture is not big enough and if anything get an isco. Beter contrast and brightness.

The B&L is also a very long throw..50 or 80 feet.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Phat,

That's about the size of all the CinemaScope anamorphic conversion lenses. As you know, the Super Panatar is even larger. With my projector set at the min. zoom it's still difficult to get the full image through a Super Panatar and impossible to get the image through any of the CinemaScope type lenses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.