AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting OTA with an indoor antenna and have been able to get 2-4 of the 5 HDTV stations in my area. My NBC station suffered many dropouts with what I thought was a multipath problem due to signal jumps from 0-50% with the dropouts. The previous owner of my house had an antenna on the roof so I ran a line to my STB in hopes of alleviating the problem. The antenna is not great (18 element and approximately 50"). I can now receive all other stations without dropouts, but still have the same pattern with NBC signal strenght of 0-50% dropping in an out every 2-3 minutes. I checked antennaweb.org and all of my stations are located at 139 degrees from my location and NBC should be easier to get than CBS per their rankings. Is this multipath? Will a bigger antenna or preamp solve this or am I just in a bad location?

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
That big antenna is big because its for the VHF band, it probably only has a small UHF section. You probably need a better UHF-only antenna, particularly for high band UHF. What is the actual channel number of the NBC station you have problems with?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am using RG6 cable and it is pointed at 139 degrees. The antenna is old (15 years) and I don't know the make and model. The actual channel number here in San Antonio is 58 and it remaps to 4-1. When I used the indoor antennae- both bow tie and the Terk-5 amplified, I had exactly the same pattern of reception on NBC that I have now though this antenna is 30 ft up on my roof. The other channels are stronger with the outdoor antenna- particularly CBS (channel 55) which had a large amount of droputs with the indoor antennas. Again, could this just be a multipath problem that would not be solved by a bigger or different antenna? Would an amplifier make a difference with such a pattern? Thanks!

·
Registered
509 Posts
One solution would be to buy the proper sized RS antenna, install and check reception. You can return it if it doesn't work.

Have you checked with the station as to its signal strength?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yea an as in my thread the Rs 110 and 160 are on close out for $2.97 plus tax not to shabby.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.