AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you read my thread before ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1105325 ) I would like to thank all of you who helped. I calibrated using HCFR and the I1-LT on Cinema1 mode, which came out pretty nice other than it only measures about 6 fl/L. So I decided to try again, but this time using Normal mode and achieved just over 16 ft/L after calibration. I have attached my .chc file. Please give it a look and let me know what you think. I managed to get my gamma a lot better than on my previous attempt. I am curious what everyone thinks of my greyscale and primary/secondary calibrations. Thanks again for all the help.

ColorNORMALafter.zip 4.8798828125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
On my AE3000 the gamma controls seemed to only effect the blue, is the AX100 different? If not I'd suggest trying to reduce the mid gamma to 0 or even -1 to get rid of that 50 & 60 IRE blue bump. If it's different, then maybe there's not much else you can do....it's better than my attempt at 'Normal' mode, though I am currently questioning the accuracy and repeatablity of the I1-LT used with HFCR.

You may get your 100 IRE setting closer if you back off the main contrast a notch or two, but obviously this will reduce your CR by a small amount. I wonder how many times there is a 100 IRE part in a film, apart from in a flame/explosion, so a slight imbalance might not be too critical?

BTW, are you measuring 'off screen' (in which case what screen do you have?) or direct from the PJ. I found direct at the PJ was too variable as the I1 picked up the individual RGB pixels and the readings were all over the place with even a tiny movement of the probe. I tried the diffuser cover and got more consistant results, then read that the diffuser is no good with the I1.
My old Greywolf II screen has such a sharp roll off angle that the probe could barely pick up more than 2fL for 100 IRE in Cinema 1 mode. Thankfully my new screen has a wider viewing angle and the probe worked better even with a tiny sample.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kelvin, I will try your suggestion about backing the mid gamma down a little. I am calibrating 'off the screen'. I am using a Wilsonart Designer White DIY screen that measures around 1.4 gain. I did notice that blue hump but didn't know how to get rid of it. How did my greyscale and primaries/secondaries look to you?

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I'm no expert myself, it's just that I spent a fair bit of time over Christmas trying to get my AE3000 calibrated, which is why I found out about the gamma effecting the blue response. I reckon if you can get rid of that bump in the middle of the greyscale then it will be a good result as the rest looks pretty good. IIRC the 50 to 80 IRE range is the priority area to get the lowest delta on.

I've only done a couple of primaries & secondaries so far and that was just on my TV, with only one control.
I got terrible deltas for green and cyan (>30
) but there is nothing I can do to improve them due to lack of CMS. With your limited controls, I think the colour looks good and you would have to spend more than the PJ to get an external VP with CMS to improve them anyway. I intend to have a try getting the AE3000 primaries and secondaries close once I get the greyscale spot on, but I don't know how good the colour adjustments are yet. I'm hoping to get my new screen up today, so I'll be able to measure off screen like you.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do need to do some more tinkering, that's for sure. I think my blacks are getting crushed a little. If I adjust brightness and move it down a notch or two, will I have to recalibrate the entire greyscale and primaries/secondaries all over again? What about bumping the mid gamma down, would it also require a full re-calibrate of greyscale and primaries/secondaries?

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Speaking more from my TV calibration I found moving the brightness up by one notch gave me a bump in the 50/60 IRE range, so I had to readjust the RGBs to compensate. From this I've taken the view that even one notch on any control is at least worth checking the greyscale...it might have brought it closer or made it worse, without checking you won't know.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was watching a blu ray last night and saw something that I have never seen before. I was watching "Traitor" and there was a scene where it was raining and behind one of the actors was a white building. I saw pink "noise" on the white building. It looked like small pink, fuzzy circles on the white background. I saw it on a few other scenes. When I switched back to the Cinema1 calibration settings and looked at the scenes again, they did not show up. Any idea what that was and why it was there?

Edit: I wonder if because I adjusted some of the gamma settings that might be the reason. In the 'Normal' mode, I adjusted the gamma settings and it showed up. In the 'Cinema1' mode, I left them alone and it didn't show up. Could this be the reason why?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts