AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Building a budget setup for the time being, however want to somewhat future proof the AVR for a better, 5.1 or 7.1/2 speaker setup a few years down the road when this system will be moved to a larger room requiring larger speakers.

For now, setup will be in a fairly small room, about 15'x12' or so. AVR will be paired with Energy Take Classic 5.1. budget is around $500 for AVR alone.

What is important to me, in no specific order:

- Sound quality of course (I know, I know, speakers are the key, but this is important on receiver end nonetheless).

- Power (for future use of larger standing speakers and such).

-  Since I am somewhat new to HT, room correction is pretty important requiring as little human intervention as possible. I'm well read on Audyssey vs. MCACC and such, and recognize the advantage of sub EQ in MultiEQ and above. So Audyssey leads this race, but i'm open to MCACC, DCAC, etc if comparable in the end.

- 5.1 an option, but would prefer 7.1/2 for future use.

- Multi Zone is not important to me whatsoever. Wont be used.

- Wifi/Enet/bluetooth is not important to me at all, but a nice feature if decided unit has it.

- 4K pass/up would be nice for future proof, but not a requirement.

- The nicer the GUI, the better.

- Number of HDMI not that important (since most these days have enough for me at a minumum).

I am open to all brands except Onkyo, i dont like that they run hot and have apparently faced reliability issues in recent past, unless you guys feel differently as of the 2013 models. I've been curious lately about the two lower line PIO elites.

I'm looking at MANY models around my price range, so too many to list my possible options. No refurbs.

I've been reading GREAT things about the Sony STR-DN840/1040 as far as from a bang for buck stand point...But very unsure of audio quality and DCAC for RC.

What are you guy's recommendations with future use of large floor standings and such in a large room?  

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
If your plan is to use this in a higher quality, floorstanding system I'd probably look at the Yamaha A series, A830 etc. I have a 671 myself and it's good, although it's not used in a the main home theatre.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The Martin-Logan MLT-2 5.1 speaker system is only $319 from Amazon, and it has better front speakers and a MUCH better subwoofer than the Energy Take setup.

The Harman-Kardon AVR1700 is $299 at Amazon now, and that is the one I would recommend.

I think it will sound better than anything from Sony or Yamaha or Pioneer in your price range.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I love the look of the HK's versus all others, and the power seems there, but how do you feel about the EZset? 

It seems the 1700/1710 have somewhat unfavorable reviews, is there a particular reason for your recommendation?

Also good call on the ML's, but i already ordered the ETC's a little while back :(

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I don't know anything about the EZset.

There seem to be a lot of happy HK owners,but there are always some problems with any AVR from anyone.

I think the sound quality is the best you can get unless you want to step up to a NAD T748, for $600.

That is a really superior unit for its price, but the HK is half as much.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0s  /t/1522038/another-avr-recommendation-thread#post_24468197

I love the look of the HK's versus all others, and the power seems there, but how do you feel about the EZset? 

I was at a meeting of our regional HiFi club Saturday, and I asked around about EZset. Nobody that had any experience with it liked it. In contrast, YPAO and Audyssey got favorable comments.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yeah, that seems to jive with what i have been reading on the net. Audyssey seems to be the hands down best RC, and i have also found a few who like MCACC and YPAO despite the lack of sub EQ capability. 

I'm somewhat leaning towards Denon...maybe an E400 or an X1000/2000 if i can get the right price. Im still not sure, though. The Sony STR-DN840/1040 got rave reviews, but from my reading im just not sold on them as a sure thing.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0s  /t/1522038/another-avr-recommendation-thread#post_24469652

Yeah, that seems to jive with what i have been reading on the net. Audyssey seems to be the hands down best RC, and i have also found a few who like MCACC and YPAO despite the lack of sub EQ capability. 

I'm somewhat leaning towards Denon...maybe an E400 or an X1000/2000 if i can get the right price. Im still not sure, though. The Sony STR-DN840/1040 got rave reviews, but from my reading im just not sold on them as a sure thing.

I thought Anthem ARC was supposed to be the best?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I would go with Denon in thus situation. I personally feel ARC tops Audyssey, but Anthem is overkill here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the same boat myself im looking to buy a good receiver I have about €500 to spend but can stretch that For the right manchine. Its to be part of a home cinema system I've installed a new screen and projector and now im updating the sound system so ill be getting new speakers as well. Im hearing good things about yamaha?. Is it worth having a machine with 2 hdmi outs, and should I wait around for hdmi2. Any help or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522038/another-avr-recommendation-thread#post_24471738

I thought Anthem ARC was supposed to be the best?

Maybe, however i'm just speaking about the RC options in my price range. 

1 - 12 of 12 Posts