Rocstor 1TB drive

Xbox 360

PS3

Speakers:

Paradigm Monitor 9s

Paradigm CC-290

Paradigm ADP-190

Polk Audio PSW505

I've definitely gotten some ideas from the 'show me your rack' thread, and love how my recessed rack install came out. Plus, there's plenty of room in there for upgrades down the road.

Here's where the advice request comes in. Though the room isn't that large, the ceiling is way high (17ft), and I know some sound is getting lost in there. I made some of those acoustic panels, as you can see in the pics, however, I am not sure of where to exactly place them. I certainly cannot add them all over every wall. Any advice is appreciated, thx.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the diy way i know of is to sit in the seating area and have someone slide a mirror along the wall. When you see a speaker mark the wall. Those are your first reflection points that need to be absorbed.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capea4 /forum/post/20873460

the diy way i know of is to sit in the seating area and have someone slide a mirror along the wall. When you see a speaker mark the wall. Those are your first reflection points that need to be absorbed.

Mirror trick is OK, but that trick will work in the mid and high frequency range only, bass trapping is another story. Nonetheless, in this case IMHO it's perfectly enough to run Audyssey MultEQ performing an acoustic bubble around seating area (couch in front of media, but not the side seat) that will tame acoustical anomalies in this room.

Some things I'd like to mention:

1. The subwoofer as a coffee table doesn't seem to be a good idea, ...if there's no room up front (as it seems), then a better place would be to put it to the right side next to the 3 seater couch facing the media center (not the 2 seater on the left). Bass is omni-directional which means sub can be placed anywhere in the room without the human ear being able to detect direcionality in the low frequency range, although there are some aspects to be taken into consideration,...it's called subwoofer crawl . Take a look at this material, it's interesting!!

2. Those frames surrounding the surround speakers may cause a slight throw off of EQing in the high frequency region when it comes to running Audyssey. Such speakers with stands may work better, but if it's a WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) case, I will keep silent!!

3. Surrounds should be, by all means, angled (toed-in) to face the MPL (Main Listening Position, aka = center seat on the couch), same goes for towers (but I see that's OK), yet, the center speaker should be tilted to face seated ear hight in order to enhance dialog intelligability. Note: speakers always have their widest frequency response when they are set on-axis, i.e. facing seated ear hight!

4. And when all this is done, please run Audyssey again.

5. Should you have any questions, please visit the Official Audyssey Thread . Guys over there are 1) very knowlegable, 2) very friendly!!

Wish you good luck with your set-up!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My sub isn't in the center of the room, that black sub-looking box is actually a cheap ottoman style thingy. The sub is on the left side of the 3seat couch (basically below the L-surround speaker).

Thanks for all the great information!

·
Registered
5,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Room209 /forum/post/20878037

My sub isn't in the center of the room, that black sub-looking box is actually a cheap ottoman style thingy. The sub is on the left side of the 3seat couch (basically below the L-surround speaker).

Thanks for all the great information!

Hi Room209, sorry for my mistake on the ottoman, but I had no other clue coz I didn't see a sub in your otherwise excellent quality photos.

Should you accept my comments (partly or in whole), please post photos of your follow up arrangements and especially comment on the most important point: how it sounds!!!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Wow, really nice setup. Looks modern and clean. I like the gear rack and those speakers are beautiful. Is that XBMC showing on your screen?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat /forum/post/20881683

Wow, really nice setup. Looks modern and clean. I like the gear rack and those speakers are beautiful. Is that XBMC showing on your screen?

That's Plex actually - I also have an Elgato Eyetv hooked up to the mini for ota HD. Hidden behind that blank panel in the rack is an antenna. No cable or satellite for me

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
How are you liking the Belkin PureAV PF60? Is it just a power conditioner?

-Kevin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.