AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the response. Feedback from someone who has actually used the same fans without any issues is reassuring to have. I'll get the 12v fans and see how I get on.

Cheers everybody.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Hey guys. Just picked up the NX3000d and the Noctua NF-A8 fan.

A couple questions.

The existing fan wiring is glued on to the board.. Recco for a simple way to remove the glue?

On the new fan, is there any way to reuse the 4 pin connector and just connect two of the pins onto the existing 2 pin connector in the amp or do I need to cut and splice?

·
Registered
97 Posts

A couple questions.

The existing fan wiring is glued on to the board.. Recco for a simple way to remove the glue?

On the new fan, is there any way to reuse the 4 pin connector and just connect two of the pins onto the existing 2 pin connector in the amp or do I need to cut and splice?
I ran into this on Monday. You can pull the glue off with pliers. You can then pull the white, female end off the board and plug in the connector on the fan. Or you can cut and splice. I cut and spliced. I wish I had gone the other way.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems to be some comments in the reviews about the wiring being reversed. Any issues that you've seen?
No issues here - fans are running without an problems. Didn’t double check them, but I think with these fans they don’t spin if the polarity is incorrect, so I think mine were fine.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Is the fan for this thing really that loud? I have one on back order for a VBSS build, are there better (quieter) options?

·
Registered
97 Posts
The connector on the new fan is too wide to fit it seems. So might have to cut and splice I think.
You should have room if you remove the connector on the board. If you pull that away you should have two pins sticking up and plenty of room to leave the yellow wire on the fan disconnected. That is what multiple people suggested in the thread I started last Monday. I did not attempt that myself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's what I did, but the black 4 pin is still too wide to sit on the two pins. Hits the other components and won't sit flush.

Tried a couple ways.

But ordered the adapter above, should be here in a couple weeks.
That happened to me. I just cut the wires off the stock fan and cut the connector off the new fan. Swapped the connector to the new fan. Wired red to red and black to black and reinstalled with no issues. Fan rotated in correct direction. No connector or waiting.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Is the fan for this thing really that loud? I have one on back order for a VBSS build, are there better (quieter) options?
I tried without the fan mod but it's loud and always on - not bad for action movies but a quiet scene? Terrible.

My amp sits around 10 feet away from me and it was annoying, fan swapped immediately and regret nothing!

·
Registered
343 Posts

A couple questions.

A few light passes with a heat gun loosens the glue right up and the plug lifts up easy.

I haven't used the adapter you referenced, but that four prong plug is super-easy to cut down. I've tried the splice method on a few amps and the cut-down method on a few others and cutting the connecter is the cleanest I've found. If you don't have specialty tools a hacksaw blade works fine, just cut the connector down the middle and tuck the unused wires back up in the wire cover. Remaining piece plugs into the board with ease. Then hit with a dab from a glue gun to hold in place. I have a pic on post number 54 of this thread and you can read others describe the process in the page before.

·
Premium Member
12,073 Posts
Unless it's in a separate room, I don't know how folks keep pro amps in their main HT. I get the "I listen loud enough that I don't hear it", but as most movies have low passages, I can't see how the fan sound doesn't drive folks batty.
I kept my very-noisy NU6000DSP in an adjacent room until the warranty ran out, then did the fan swap. It's in the HT room now and it's incredibly quiet - much quieter than my PJ. :cool:

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Unless it's in a separate room, I don't know how folks keep pro amps in their main HT. I get the "I listen loud enough that I don't hear it", but as most movies have low passages, I can't see how the fan sound doesn't drive folks batty.
Once the movie begins, I don't even noticed my two clones:)

81 - 100 of 112 Posts