AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Denon 4520 and not happy at all. Movies sound great but my Denon 2808 sounded a hell of a lot better when listening to DVD concerts. I need some help finding something that will fit my needs. I want something with decent clean power through out the spectrum, good multi channel processing & room correction software, dual HDMI output, and that is about it. I do not need wireless connectivity, I don't listen to radio, or any of the new music formats, Airplay/Spotify, etc. Just used for HDTV (Dish Network) and Blue ray. I am driving 5 Def Tech speakers and 2 subs.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I just purchased a Denon 4520 and not happy at all. Movies sound great but my Denon 2808 sounded a hell of a lot better when listening to DVD concerts. I need some help finding something that will fit my needs. I want something with decent clean power through out the spectrum, good multi channel processing & room correction software, dual HDMI output, and that is about it. I do not need wireless connectivity, I don't listen to radio, or any of the new music formats, Airplay/Spotify, etc. Just used for HDTV (Dish Network) and Blue ray. I am driving 5 Def Tech speakers and 2 subs.
If two Denon receivers sounded different from one another, the cause is the room calibration software which ended up with different calculations from the two units. Perhaps it is just a matter of defeating the room calibration software when you listen to recorded music. Another brand will simply come up with different calculations which you may prefer or not.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If two Denon receivers sounded different from one another, the cause is the room calibration software which ended up with different calculations from the two units. Perhaps it is just a matter of defeating the room calibration software when you listen to recorded music. Another brand will simply come up with different calculations which you may prefer or not.
Okay am going to play with it a bit. Anything I should start with first?

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts
For extensive advice on Audyssey I would take a look at the main Audyssey thread for guidance. There is quite a lot of "how-to" info as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...fficial-audyssey-thread-faq-post-51779-a.html

An alternative to disengaging Audyssey for music is to use the Bypass L/R option which removes equalization for the front two speakers but leaves bass management intact. Yet another option would be to copy the Audyssey curve to manual and make adjustments from there to your liking.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Okay am going to play with it a bit. Anything I should start with first?
The main thing that the software does is equalize frequency response from the speakers. If you defeat it, the two units will sound the same.

If you like the equalized sound then fine. If you like the straight reproduction also fine. You should be able to adjust the the equalization of either unit to match the other manually.

Personally, I don't use room calibration software and never have other than to experiment with it.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
try a Yamaha
they can be bought fairly inexpensively refurbished from accessories4less
They tend to be very musical and AFAIK have the best reliability

Warren

·
Premium Member
93,297 Posts
For extensive advice on Audyssey I would take a look at the main Audyssey thread for guidance. There is quite a lot of "how-to" info as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...fficial-audyssey-thread-faq-post-51779-a.html

An alternative to disengaging Audyssey for music is to use the Bypass L/R option which removes equalization for the front two speakers but leaves bass management intact. Yet another option would be to copy the Audyssey curve to manual and make adjustments from there to your liking.
Keeping in mind doing so is similar to taking a photograph of a famous painting and then using an eraser to adjust the photograph colors to your liking (ie. manual copy is only a very crude representation of the Audyssey EQ).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts