AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty lame dual SI 18 build to complement my front 6. I have a nasty dip at 20 hz in the front row of seats and of course a 6 db spike at 20 hz in the back row. The more I turn in up in the front to my liking, the worse it gets for them poor saps in the back. So to further smooth out the FR I decided to add another pair behind the second row of seats.

I don't have a lot of room to work with, the door is at the back of the room and I didn't want an obnoxious eyesore back there. I have 20" between the back row and the wall. I could scoot them up and the front row but I'm kind of set where everything is at so I wanted to work with what was there.

First attempt was with a run of the mill rectangular cab. Love them, very easy to put together with perfectly lined up joints and bracing. Unfortunately I wasn't taking into consideration how far the back row reclined, and needless to say it was no bueno.

So some prick (who will remain nameless) talks me into doing an angled design. Oh yeah, no problem, that will be easy enough.
I'm extremely anal on my cuts and my table saw is mic'd on the money; but angle cuts leave no forgiveness. The side pieces and bracing were too big to cut on the TS so I had to use my circular saw for the cuts. Well needless to say, it's not as easy as it looks. 1/6" off and things don't line up on the money. So after a few scrap pieces I think we're ready to move forward.

You'll have to excuse the mess; I'm still in the middle of finishing the basement.

Seeing as I was tearing things apart, I decided to send my xovers back to the mad scientist to do a little tweaking on them. I had a tight time frame the first go around and he didn't get to do as much testing as he would have liked. After working on another similar project he thinks he has these babies on the money. Thanks again!!!

While I'm at it I got around to trimming out the rack and adding some more goodies. I'm really hoping I didn't make a mistake dumping my dual SMS's and switching over to the 4x10HD. We'll find out shortly.

As if I didn't have enough projects all over the place, I'm also working on banging out a concession area (we don't drink so my wife won't let me call it a bar, lol).

And I had to hang up my Matrix posters again. Room was originally gray, but after tearing out the walls and ceiling and starting over, I decided red was more, ummmm, theaterish.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11  /t/1521376/another-boring-although-pita-sub-build-random-crap/0_80#post_24450101

Wake me up when done! 

You're in for a long nap.

·
Bass Enabler
21,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1521376/another-boring-although-pita-sub-build-random-crap#post_24450087

And I had to hang up my Matrix posters again. Room was originally gray, but after tearing out the walls and ceiling and starting over, I decided red was more, ummmm, theaterish.

Pfft. You didn't even do it right. There heads are all chopped off!

I like the inwall gear and movie collections. Nice.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c  /t/1521376/another-boring-although-pita-sub-build-random-crap/0_80#post_24450135

Yeah! Angled boxes are some work, nice job. What are xo boards for - I missed it

They came out of my main build.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c  /t/1521376/another-boring-although-pita-sub-build-random-crap/0_80#post_24450218

Ooh, nice. I have a few td12m on the way... What is the xo change? Is it from Bill's design?

Nope, this was cooked up by Matt based on the TD15M, SEOS12, and BMS4550.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian  /t/1521376/another-boring-although-pita-sub-build-random-crap#post_24450173

Pfft. You didn't even do it right. There heads are all chopped off!

I like the inwall gear and movie collections. Nice.

Psssttt.............Pssst..........Scotty............Scotty.........becareful!

The guy has a straight jacket on in his avatar................don't provoke him! 

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11  /t/1521376/another-boring-although-pita-sub-build-random-crap/0_80#post_24450253

Psssttt.............Pssst..........Scotty............Scotty.........becareful!

The guy has a straight jacket on in his avatar................don't provoke him! 

Speaking of clothing. I found yours.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
The wedge shaped box makes it debut! Looks a little complicated with the angles (no wiggle-room) and your bracing design like you mention, nice job though bass. Now in the end what did you say you decided on regarding your baffle? I ask because if you're still going single layer baff, you're going to need more bracing around the cutouts although it doesn't need to be what you have going so far by no means. Anyway looks like you got your hands full down there.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1521376/another-boring-although-pita-sub-build-random-crap/0_80#post_24450374

The wedge shaped box makes it debut! Looks a little complicated with the angles (no wiggle-room) and your bracing design like you mention, nice job though bass. Now in the end what did you say you decided on regarding your baffle? I ask because if you're still going single layer baff, you're going to need more bracing around the cutouts although it doesn't need to be what you have going so far by no means.

It will be a double baffle. I'll probably toss a few dowels in for good measure as well. At least at this point I feel I'm on the downhill run.

Quote:
Anyway looks like you got your hands full down there.

Yeah, it's a mess, lol. My work schedule has drug this out a lot longer than I would have liked. I'm hoping to have everything finished up by summer so I can get out and enjoy it for a change, instead of being trapped down in the basement.
The good news is once the bar is done; all I have left is carpet and trim (before updating the bathroom, which can wait).

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt  /t/1521376/another-boring-although-pita-sub-build-random-crap/0_80#post_24451342

TRACK SAW

that is all.

I know, I know. Based on the fact this is the only time I'll ever need is (TS get's most of the work), I couldn't justify buying one.

I don't know how much it would have helped in this situation though due to the small awkward pieces being cut.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1521376/another-boring-although-pita-sub-build-random-crap#post_24450265

Speaking of clothing. I found yours.

How in the heck did you know?

On top of that, I bit down on a mercury thermometer and had to have my stomach pumped...............not to mention I was almost killed by a '58 Studebaker- three weeks in ICU with traumatic head injury at age 5! Does it really show through? BTW, the guy in the padded room thinks he has issues! 

With all those angles.........not an easy task, but having braid nailer sure helps. Did you piece together your bracing?

I'd be impressed if done with one cut! 

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11  /t/1521376/another-boring-although-pita-sub-build-random-crap/0_80#post_24453607

Did you piece together your bracing?

I'd be impressed if done with one cut! 

One piece, yes. Once cut, not exactly.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Making slow progress (too many other irons in the fire as usual) but I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel yet again.

I decided to do something different and seeing as this sub will be at the back of the room, I thought I'd skip trowel it to match my walls. You will barely see it but I thought it would be a nice change from the norm.

I have a couple extra braces to add but the cab is pretty much finished with the exception of paint.

New crossovers going in the mains. I decided to add some ensolite to the side walls while I had everything torn apart. Figure it couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11  /t/1521376/another-boring-although-pita-sub-build-random-crap/0_80#post_24505055

Great idea on skip trowel................what was the substrate?

Wow............it's starting to move at a faster clip!!!!!!! 

LOL, I love that vid.

Nothing fancy, just plain ol' drywall mud.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
I decided to do something different and seeing as this sub will be at the back of the room, I thought I'd skip trowel it to match my walls. You will barely see it but I thought it would be a nice change from the norm.

I have a couple extra braces to add but the cab is pretty much finished with the exception of paint.

The old skip trowel!! method. Can't say I've heard that before.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts