AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tinkering around with the WinISD program and searching for an 8" sub that will fit my space and needs.

I'm looking for somebody to double check my results with WinISD

I'm getting a pretty flat curve from a car subwoofer - for home use.

JBL GTO 8

WinISD settings:

Box - 1 cuft

Driver 1

Driver temp 75

Tuning - 25 hz

Low Pass - 2nd order 80hz

2 inch port(s) - may need more than one 2 incher

The FS of the sub is 29hz and yet I'm tuning down to 25....is that okay..

Thanks guys

jbl8.pdf 229.3974609375k . file

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I don't know what response you want, but you should be ok tuning lower than the fs. Is this going to be your main sub?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for answering up brandonnash. Ya, I have a really small place and the object of the exercise to get as much out of as little as possible. Both the size of the sub and the price of the sub are a consideration. If price is no object then I can just purchase a Velodyne here from work ( or a B&W or Def Tech or Canton or Klipsch). But that's just it, I'd like to try to build a sub from a moderate price point and have sound good, if only to satisfy my ego

I've plugged in several off the shelf subs (all 8") in to WinISD and none give me the curve that little car sub does, which makes me question if it's user error. If the curve translates to real world perfomance, then that little sub is a show stopper at the price point.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[
Quote:
I]Uklit What net volume and tuning frequency are you modeling with the GTO 8? [/i]

I think I understand your question...

As I understand it WinISD gives it's "box volume" number without driver displacement. The numbers I plugged into the program are the ones I listed. To get the proper box volume (with driver inside box) I'd have to do a water displacement measurement of the driver ( inside a trash bag or something ). Then figure out what the tube displacements are and add those volume totals to driver displacement so I get a net of 1 cubic foot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts