AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the worst case scenario happened to me. The wife and I fell asleep and the menu screen of the DVD we were watching was on the display for several hours.:eek: It has been about a week since it happened (maybe 14 additional hours of viewing) and I still don't know if I'm dealing with burn-in or temporary ghosting. Here's why:

My NEC 42VP4D requires 10 to 15 minutes to warm up before the phosphors achieve the optimal PQ. That time is shorter than when I first got the unit a month ago. It was more like 45 minutes. Before the unit warms up, there is a lot of pink/yellow/green pixelization in the light areas of the screen, especially anywhere light is reflected. Like on a face for instance. The best way I can describe it is "shimmering". Lots of pixels dancing around. Once the phosphors have stabilized the PQ is excellent.

Now I can see portions of the DVD menu left on the screen when the unit has not warmed up. However, the letters are not white like they are on the DVD menu. They are the same pink/yellow/green colors described above. They completely disappear once the phosphors have stabilized.

So what have I got here? Burn-in or ghosting? Any chance it will disappear entirely after more hours of use?

BTW, I did have the screenswiper on. It did no good because it's a white band that sweeps across the screen and the menu letters are white. DOH! Didn't any engineer think about that? Plasmas should have alternating white and black or colored bands.

Since this happened I discovered a solution to the "fall asleep syndrome". My new Panasonic xp30 arrived. It has a sleep function that can be set for up to 120 minutes and then it shuts off. Now, if I'm feeling tired that is the first thing I set. Works like a charm.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.