AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my first HDTV, and I'll soon be getting HD feeds through my cable company when they provide it - 5-6 months. My main question is setup for now AND the future. Here's the situation.

New place, TV is in the basement - 1 cable jack. Upstairs is where our cable modem is for internet, and there's a Linksys wireless router. My PC is also in the downstairs. I'm having a hard time with the wireless setup, as I'm losing a lot of packets and in general it flat out sucks. What my main question is, am I able to run a splitter from the one cable jack down below, run one end to ANOTHER cable modem to eliminate the necessity for wireless, and then the 2nd coax to STB for TV viewing? Is this pheasible, and if so, is the internet slow and latent with packet loss, and does the picture quality faulter at all?

TIA

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Yes, it is possible, but..... your television will lose 3 dB and you will have to pay double for internet service. I could think of several cheaper ways to fix the wireless link other than paying twice for broadband access.

Brian

·
Registered
804 Posts
Chris you have two threads I answered one here, since its short and sweet Ill repeat it. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post6068850

Why would you run a coax down to add another modem, wouldnt it make it ten times easier, and less costly to run a cat5 from your router to the basement for your comp? Doesnt that make more sense?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does, but the house owner doesn't want it.

There's a jack downstairs, just curious about spitting it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Ah, well hes a PITA then. You can spit it make sure you get a decent splitter though. Or another option is to get a different router. I have a Linksys switcher which worked great, so of course i bought a linksys wireless router too, well that genuinely sucked, replaced it and it still sucked, so i ended up with a microsoft one which worked great, it bit the dust two years later. So now I have a belkin one and it works fantastic, im a floor up and across the house and still get a great signal.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
better antennas on each end may help the wireless enough...

·
Registered
166 Posts
You could try upgrading to the top of the line Linksys wireless router, WRT54GX. It works very well for me across a large 3-story house, although wireless connections vary widely by wall type and other factors. Otherwise you might try the WRE54G range expander. I have no experience with this product myself, but it might be worth a shot; you can always return it if it's no help.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Returned the antennaes. They didn't do the trick. I'll be getting a new wall-jack installed for $25 from the cable company, and while they're here, one of Motorolas new "Moxy" boxes. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.