AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wiring a house for IP cams, home networking, and an HDMI video matrix. Everything will be fed into one rack mounted switch.

Eventually I'll be at 4k/60fps(hdmi 2.0) for my video and I see that as the biggest bandwidth user. Cat6a shielded is huge and seems tough to work with. I believe it also requires shielded connectors.

Can I get away with Cat6 unshielded and still have plenty of "pipe" left for my video AND not have to worry about crosstalk? The run will be less than 250 ft. Also, is all cat6 "solid core" or are there variations? I was going to buy bulk from monoprice.

I have to buy cables for my installer and I don't want him to hate me for showing up with some monster sized cables that are a pain to connect cleanly to a switch(probably about 20 drops for the house).

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Cat6 UTP should be fine, and yes, if you expect shielded cables to work, they have to be properly terminated... I would rather have more UTP cables run to more places (than fewer STP) for the $$$ spent on wiring. But flexible conduit is the best way to be future-proof.

You say runs less than 250' - for most of our houses a 100' run would be a "longer" one. You should use solid cable (not stranded) for wiring - stranded is for making patch cables only.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After doing a little more reading, it seems it's hotly debated on how to terminate solid cat6 cables. Any opinions on if a patch panel is overkill for a home installation when using solid core Ethernet(as opposed to directly into a switch)? Even if I were to use a patch panel, how would the IP cams on the other end be terminated? Keystone to stranded? Seems like more variables to break/screw up using patch panels. I'm new to this though...

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
The patch panel is to save wear-and-tear on the connectors and the wiring. For small numbers of cables, such that you'd never move them around once installed, nothing wrong with directly terminating them with RJ45's and plugging into a switch. But with a larger number of cables, the more likely that you'll be changing things around, connecting to various devices (not just Ethernet switches) and "touching" all that cabling just to pull one piece out of the mess will be, well, a mess...

On the IP camera end, best to just terminate the wire with RJ45 and go directly into the camera. Adding a wall plate / keystone for a dedicated device location is silly, less reliable, and unsightly...

Reactions: egnlsn

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
For the HDMI signals I would try and avoid the Patchbay/terminated Faceplate – it introduces the potential for a signal drop you don’t really need/want!

The boys in the design lab tell me STP CAT6 – the boys in the field and the vast majority of our Installed systems use UTP CAT6 (we recommend the GigaTrue cable and connectors from Black Box).

The quality of the RJ45 termination can make or break a system – as can earth loops in this day of so many ‘double earthed’ Source and Display device, our Matrix have an Earth tag!

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts