AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, too, was eager to see new DLP projectors -- particularly those with the HD1 TI chip. I was a little disappointed in the Marantz. The presenter was talking talking talking to give the unit time to cool down from the previous showing. He said that they were having trouble with the prototype thermaling off in the middle of presentations. But more importantly, I thought the picture was a bit soft and I saw artifacting. They were showing a WVHS recording of NFL Football. The presenter also claimed that the lack of any

"halo" was a Marantz accomplishment when in fact it is endemic to the HD1 chip.

After waiting in line for the next showing at the JVC booth, the door opened and the presenter moved the hands of the "next showing" clock forward several hours, explaining that they were haveing "technical difficulties". I never made it back.

Sim2 Seleco's demonstration was not without it's frustrations as well. They sandwiched the HT200DM showing progressive component DVD between their top-of-the-line CRT and the new HT300 both showing 1080i from a Sencore. Needless to say the DM was victimized by the wowie-zowie

picture quality of the HD demo's. I suspect the Seleco folks didn't want to do a direct comparison of the 300 and the CRT, so they delayed everyone's video memory a bit with the 200DM interlude. Too bad we were'nt able to see progressive component on the HT300. I have to admit it did look impressive on HD.

The Sony Ht11 just didn't have the zap of the DLP's. It was washed out and the colors were off. I know this unit can look better than it did.

One suprise I had not anticipated: Stewart Filmscreen is apparently going to market the Panamorph Lens. They were showing it with a Runco DLP on a split screen (half GrayHawk, half StudioTek130). With Stewart's production skills and deep pockets, maybe the availability on this illusive device will improve.

When I poked my head in the Dwin booth, there was only a freez-frame image showing. Couldn't tell a thing.

I guess if there's one thing I came away with it's the realization that you just can't make any definitive

judgements at these types of events. Exhibitors are rushed to set up new models that may or may not be fully "cooked" yet. You never know the entirety of the system being displayed -- the condition and quality of the source devices, the calibration choices, the cabling, the program material, RF interference in the building -- it's all a big unknown. At best we can get glimpses of potentially promising products. Final judgements must wait until further testing and evaluation can occurr in controlled and objective environments. I eagerly await that opportunity.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I take it you did not get to see the Sharp Demo. I thought it was very impressive. Great sound system and great source material to showcase it. It really gave a beautiful picture. Of course I have never seen a rainbow, so I may not be the most particular reviewer.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Is the Runco a DLP or CRT?

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with whatever higher rez DLP gets its act together (finally)with Panamorph or B stock/etc 9" CRT

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It wasn't possible to evaluate the Runco because the booth had a fair amount of ambiant light and things were further impacted by the panamorph and the split screen demo.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The demo in the Stewart booth was not really meant to show good video. It was in ample ambient light showing Gone in 60 Seconds (not at all a good transfer). It was meant to show the difference between the Greyhawk and Stewart's 1.3 gain. Pete, did you see the HDTV in the corner and the demo of the Blackhawk at the front of the booth?

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kam,

I did indeed! The Black Hawk demo was pretty impressive, considering the huge amounts of ambiant light. Imagine if the projector/mirror assembly were contained in a sealed area like the OptaWave demo.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Let me tell you, it looked *good* at Infocomm in a sealed room. Did you see it on the second day when cloth was put up to shield the screen from overhead light in the rear?

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Kam,

The blackhawk was very nice.But how about that brightstar?

The LCD PJ was awful but the screen rocketed with huge blacks and brightness/contrast under the brightest lights.What a test.Deep colors leapt off the screen.So we await your impression with bated breath.

Jason said "it was the star of the show."
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif regards Ron

------------------

Ron

"Your priorities will be different-its the weighting that counts!"

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
i have to say i like stewart but was disapointed with the booth. the grayhawk demo had a very bright light right next to it (and on the non-grayhawk side i might add) that made it useless. of couse a white screen looks bad with a huge halogen light shining on it. the monster RP screen in the corner had vertical streaks in it. i don't know much about rear screens but i was surprised given this was a very high end setup.

bummer. i really wanted to get a good look at the grayhawk. wish i could have unscrewed that light.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Compaq MP2800 DLP, 1Ghz htpc w radeon aiw, 45 x 80" diy accoustically transparent screen, lexicon dc-1. ipaq touchscreen for control

·
Registered
493 Posts

bummer. i really wanted to get a good look at the grayhawk. wish i could have unscrewed that light.[/qoute]

The lights were to the side on a side wall with other screen materials (these are the lights I'm assuming you were talking about).

I talked to Don Stewart about those lights (I mentioned the same thing) and it didn't make a difference - we mucked around with them for a while. The lights were far enough off-axis from the screen that it had very little effect on what the viewer saw. After all, they're designed to redirect the light in a very specific way. The 'gains' aren't because the screens magically make the light 'brighter,' they just focus more of it back to your eye instead of it being diffused. "Technically" the Greyhawk is stil a 'gain' screen, since the grey backing has about a .6 gain and they then use the optical coating to bring it up to .95.

I still think got a good look at the GreyHawk. It makes a HUGE difference and I thought the booth made that fairly clear (although the lights to the side certainly confused the issue a bit I'd agree)

------------------

The Bennett Home Theater: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...654&a=12500765

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just to clarify because of some of the posts...

Is there a new screen called "BlackHawk" in addition to GrayHawk, or are you all talking about the GrayHawk that has been out for a while? If this BlackHawk indeed exists, can someone give their impressions and any info they have?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
835 Posts
Greg,

What do you mean it had vertical stripes in it? I didn't notice anything in the image. Where they large or small, regular or irregular? There was a bit of a horizontal hotspot if you got up close too.

Jeff,

The Blackhawk is a rigid rear-projection screen, it's meant to have excellent black levels, great viewing angle, and high efficiency in high ambient light. I don't know how suitable it is for home theatre, it is quite expensive and only really worth it if you have (serious) ambient light issues.

Regards,

Kam Fung

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.