AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my secnond Cinema 13HD and now I have a dust spot on the right hand portion of the screen about the size of a half dollar. Any ideas?

My previous problem with bright light is even more prevelant on the new projector. Anytime there is a bright light on screen or sunlight the image blooms very yellow (and sometimes red outlines) on peoples faces, white shirts, etc. I cannot see how other people do not notice this. It makes the picture look awful. Is there any fix for this problem other than turning color, brightness, and contrast so far down that it washes out the picture?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
460 Posts
Andy,

I feel your pain. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Yes, several of us PLV-60 owners have seen the problem you are talking about. Though this is the first case I have seen it reported on a 13HD. There is a known fix for it. Note in the post I describe it as "solarization" but we later determined it was a different problem, so we called it "blooming":
http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/dcfo...ID53/157.shtml

However, this only "fixes" 480p component on Input 3. It *will* mess up the picture quality of the other inputs and 480i on input 3. Nobody has found a way to correctly fix this problem without impacting the other inputs.

And you are correct, the picture looks horrible when this problem is present. When it is fixed, the picture is superb. When you apply Steve Smallcombe's SMART to it, the picture is jaw-dropping.

Hope this helps.

Robert

·
Registered
194 Posts
Installed a 13-HD for a client and on Progressive scan DVD noticed "Solarization" issue. Client was also using an LD and Cable. Found that their was a compatability issue with JVC Progressive DVD player and projecter. Turned progressive scan of DVD player off and Progressive scan of projecter on and this cleared up the problem. Picture now was fabulous, excellent color and contrast. Has anyone noticed this problem on this projector. Studio Experience was very helpful in diagnosing this problem.

FASTLS

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am also getting the blooming issue on my 13HD. I am using the Sony DVP-NS700P and did not notice this on my 1st 13HD which had a yellow blob issue. The newer unit had a perfect LCD panel but I noticed the blooming issue after using the unit for 2 weeks straight. I probably adjusted to the picture and notice more now than ever before. Can someone please post the step by step procedure here. I am using it on Input 3 with 480p from the Sony. If the link works, that should be enough. BTW, this does not happen on my Sony HD100 which is connected to Input 2 via the RGBHV jacks. I will test it out tonight using an interlaced signal from the same DVD player. Thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nino,

That is same problem I found. Change input 3 to automatically select input mode. Select 480i and make sure the progressive scan is turned on. Now on DVD player, turn off progressive scan and make output 480I. Check image and see if blooming has diminished. Please post outcome on this thread.

FastLS

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would I want to turn progressive scan on my dvd player off???

Also, has anyone notice a slight dark vertical line on the right side of the screen (panel). It is mostly noticeable during bright white scenes.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
194 Posts
Andrew,

If it would not be causing a problem I would not turn it off. The 13HD has an internal scaler to make a 480i 480P. I would love to keep the progressive scan on but their seemed to be a compatability problem between the output signal of the JVC DVD player and the 13HD. By using the internal scaler of the Projector, I cleared up all blooming problems and still had a progressive scan picture. Client was amazed at clarity and colors.

What DVD player are you using. Do you have any blooming or solarization problems.

FASTLS

·
Registered
148 Posts
Andrew,

It's for testing purposes as FASTLS stated. Of course, progressive scan is the way to go for picture quality. I'm interested to see how the test goes since I'm bothered by it since it looks very unnatural, sort of like having the experience of an eye dilation :) - I pasted a quote from Johnny and this may explain it. I will test it right now to see if this is really the case - test DVDs are: The 5th element (Superbit), Star Wars TPM, MIB, Gladiator.

I am inclined to use my Sony CX860 300-disc unit which has component outputs but is not prog. scan capable also as a further test.

QUOTE -

>Johnny,

>

>I'm not having posterization problem with my current

>60HT--but I did on different 60HT unit.

>

>I have the original Sony DVP 7000s non-progressive player.

>(It's mpeg decoder chip doesn't have the "Chroma Bug" so i'm

>keeping it until I find a better replacement.

>

>Ake

I have the same player as well, and after I did a lot of tweaking I was able to eliminate almost all of the Posterizing. It was barely there. I came to the conclusion many times that it was the DVD and not the projector. TO this day, that is still an excellent player, and its built like a tank.

Strange thing though, on my new rp91 its a lot more evident. At least through Progressive. But I have read many threads in many forums saying that Progressive and Posterizing seem to go hand in hand. The overall picture is better, but there is definately more posterizing.

Johnny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.