AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i decide to help out a friend with their refurb 5040. for some reason, it refuses to transmit sound on any channels with marginal reception. basically, in this case, channels 35 and 36 just have no sound at all but all others are fine (cable service is channels 2-36 only). the tv tuner by itself transmits the sound just fine on channel 35

i brought over my unit and plugged in... i get "staticky" sound, but my unit still sends the sound along to the tv properly for channel 35 and 36.

what gives? is this yet another victim of the crappy tuners in the 5040?

we tried hard, soft, and factory resets on the unit to no avail, channel 35 and 36 just refused to provide any sound at all. it's almost like the threshold for "bad" sound was set a bit too low on this unit.

thoughts?

-eric

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Try the ol' fix of unplugging the cable, resetting the replay and attaching the cable (cable being cableTV feed all uses of the word cable),

Does that help?

Also what software version? How's the cable configured? See the trouble shooting sticky for more info on cable signals.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'll play with it more tonight. thanks for the pointers to a few more things to try.

it seems all units out of the box go out and pull build 110 by default now, at least both my unit and his did.

i haven't added the second machine to your database yet, will do if we can't solve the problem tonight!

thanks.

-eric

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, unplugged the cable and then performed a hard reset to no avail. still no audio on channel 35.

are you talking about doing a factory reset before reattaching everything?

while we play with all this, i'll put in an inquiry with the cable tv people at comcast to see if they have cleaner filters available. pretty sloppy to roll off two channels early when you're paying for it.

-e

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I was talking about the 10 second power reset, not the factory reset. The key was the unplugging every cable. You gotta get rid of all juice to the unit no matter what the source is be it the power cable, or cableTV line, ethernet cable, RCA cables, where ever it's coming from you can't have it getting in.

The trouble shooting sticky thread has more information about that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.