AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to post my dedicated theater construction progress after reading through the countless threads where others have lead the way to successful home theater builds. I get motivated when I read them and it seems as though the DIYer's feed off of many of you advising them along the way.

Now with that said:

My theater is apart of a master-planned basement renovation(workout room, gameroom, bathroom, lounge area, bar area and dedicated theater. The theater will be 13'10"X16'5". screen against the 13' wall. However, I have a duct that drops 9" from the ceiling, approx 7' from the left wall. The first row will be approx 9' to 10' from the screen. I'll post pictures as soon as I can figure out where I just posted it!!?? I'll also post the new proposed location for the screen.

Equipment:

Pioneer VSX-1015 (no HDMI capabilities) plan to go with a 7.1 system

Denon DVD player

DIY screen soon (92" to a 110" if I can squeeze it)

DIY tower speakers

DIY sub

XBOX 360

More equipment to follow as I have others but they wont make it to the theater.

Still haven't settled on a projector as of yet

I do have a question as I'm in the final stages of drywall finish work. When building a proscenium, what size of wood is generally used and do you secure it to the ceiling or the stage or both? I hear statements about decoupling and want to know how I should approach this. Also, I can't really afford to use any space behind the screen as the room is only 16 1/2" deep with the entrance in the rear of the room. I want to put two rows of seating in the room.

Thanks for now, I have to start my new part-time job, "drywall counter-intelligence"!!!

Avery

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a picture of the new screen location. I put together some 1X4's for a mock screen...

Avery

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Why is the screen right up against the ceiling?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ceiling is only 90" and I want to get a second row in there. With the screen down 9" I need a 12" riser on a 92" screen. With the screen up close to the ceiling, I only need something like a 7 or 8" riser. I'm trying to make sure the folks can see above my head if I were in the front row. That frame is wider that the finished screen would be. I'd love to just drop the screen down, leave the projector flush to the ceiling and be sure that the folks behind me could see the screen.

I also want to keep the projector up as high as I can, out of my way when on the riser. Hey, I'm learning as I go here. If anyone can help me better design this room by all means step in. Heaven knows I need all the help I can get.

Avery

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I think your screen is too high if you plan to sit in the front row most of the time, (and more so if you recline your chair). You will get tired of looking up all the time. Most projectors will allow height adjustments.

My opinion is that since my wife and I do 98% of the viewing ourselves, I want to optimize the seats we use regularly. Occasional guests don't care where they sit or if they don't have the perfect seat; they are just glad to be in the room.

That being said, you could consider staggering the seating to allow for better viewing in back rows. There are other options too, like getting shorter seats in the front and taller ones in the back, etc.

Either way, unless you are doing something fancy, you could change the screen height later on with little impact. Though not so easily for the riser...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much of a drop should I do? If I go with lets say 9" from the ceiling, can I still put a projector on the ceiling? I was once told that all I need to do is have the lens hit the screen material and then I'm good to go. As far as getting the image on the screen.

Avery

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I plan on building two columns to hide my left and right channels. I think my center will end up resting on a stand. I too am limited on my depth, so I don't want to give up floor space for a false wall.

I went back and forth over how to do my columns. Ultimately, I decided to build them AFTER the carpet was installed. I'll attach them to the stage via screws, but I plan to decouple the top from the ceiling. I figure that if I frame the column within a couple of inches of the ceiling, I can attach fabric panels that rest close to or against the ceiling. This also allows me to remove the columsn if I ever need to, as it's just a matter of removing screws around the base.

Just my two cents. Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Also, I would build your riser to soften the line of sight from the back row, as opposed to adjusting your screen to meet the back row requirements. Basically, lower the screen and build taller in the back.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everything, I'm going down to the basement and figuring out how to move things around again. Got to get this right. Acouple of home theater companies around my area gave ridiculous prices and some only wanted to work my entire project. When I'm finished I'll invite them over to see what a real theater looks like

Big Ave

·
Registered
129 Posts
You don't need a Home Theater company!. Just hang here and read all you can read in the end for every hour you put in the Basement, you may also put a hour here at this Forum. But you will have a Great Theater In the end you will have a better looking and better working Home Theater. Than one of those ridiculous prices home theater companies can make.

"Don't make a lier out of me".

A lot of Home Theater places want all or nothing, They may finish in three months but you have to live with it. Hell there are Guys here do there theater over for what every reason and they look Great. Good Luck to you and think about those ridiculous prices when you add the extras to your Home theater.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ave /forum/post/14248362

How much of a drop should I do? If I go with lets say 9" from the ceiling, can I still put a projector on the ceiling? I was once told that all I need to do is have the lens hit the screen material and then I'm good to go. As far as getting the image on the screen.

Avery

Every projector is different, but generally you want the lens to be even with the top of the screen. This is another reason why you don't want your screen right up to the ceiling. The lens of your projector can't be that high (even if the PJ is right up against the ceiling, the lens won't be). I would think 9" would be fine, but I'd shoot for 12".

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
As for your riser issue, one possible solution is to build a two part riser. The first part may be only 6 or 8" tall and then you build a slightly taller riser for just the chairs. That way you get the same benefit when seated, but you don't bump your head when walking to the chair. Now the extra chair height may make it tough for short folks to get in them, so you mileage may vary this suggestion.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I agree with all the posters, your screen is way too high and not visually optimal. I would easily place it about 10-12" from ceiling. Are you framing a screen or doing a drop down?

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
You certainly do not want the screen that high it is just really uncomfortable to watch from the front unless the back row is going to be your main row then set it for that row. My first screen was 106" 16/9 and was 25" off the floor and was just about perfect for my taste.

But your room looks like the perfect setup for a CIH (constant image height) screen will make your 16/9 slightly shorter but your scope movies will be larger. Thats what I went to with my smaller room and love it but I do mainly 90% movie watching there.

Nate

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty N8 /forum/post/14255175

You certainly do not want the screen that high it is just really uncomfortable to watch from the front unless the back row is going to be your main row then set it for that row. My first screen was 106" 16/9 and was 25" off the floor and was just about perfect for my taste.

But your room looks like the perfect setup for a CIH (constant image height) screen will make your 16/9 slightly shorter but your scope movies will be larger. Thats what I went to with my smaller room and love it but I do mainly 90% movie watching there.

Nate

Totally agree

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm dropping the screen down from the ceiling atleast 9". I plan to go with a fixed screen. I was planning on a 92" to 106" screen. I'm now looking into the CIH option. I'll do the DIY screen option of either the Black widow or the Casa Platinum grey material from Johann Fabrics.

I had to stop work on the theater to finish sanding-priming-painting the rest of the basement. This will do wonders for my well being(wife wondering when will I ever stop tracking dust everywhere?). This also preps rest of the basement for floors and a definite end in site to all the destracting work(any work not done to improve the theater)...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, I'm going to build the proscenuim with the towers mounted to the ceiling. Hovering over the stage with enough room for the subs to sit under. This way the towers are decoupled from the stage. The subs will sit on a platform that will be decoupled from the curved portion of the stage. When completed, I'll have the towers, subs & stage separate. Does any of this make sense? Am I over doing it? Or is there a need to do more or even differently?

Thanks in advance,

Big Ave

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, back to work time. I've finally figured out the design of the proscenium (towers, screen size and stage layout). Filling the stage with sand today. Also the plan is to figure out how to form a lip around the stage for a rope light and sturdy enough for carpet to be attached. Also, I need to figure out how to attach the screen to the entire assembly. I'm taking up no space behind the screen as I'm trying to maximize the 16 1/2' length of the room.

Posting pictures later today.

Big Ave

1 - 20 of 31 Posts