Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have some comments/need some advice. Being in the business it seems that these Samsung DLP TVs have hit a popularity level that I haven’t personally seen for one line of televisions. The buzz around this line is truly astounding. Congrats to all of you who picked up on this early and already own/enjoy one!

Now on to my question. I am in the process of leaving my position at Best Buy to go manage a small mid/soon to be higher end HT shop. Getting past my excitement to be moving into selling the type products I buy and love, I do have an interesting choice on my hands right now. I have a Toshiba 40h80 rear pro HDTV that a purchased when I first came to BB, and or course have the service plan on. I have been very happy with this set, and think that for it’s price it would still be one of the better RPHDTV sets on the market. But, I have an opportunity to get the full value I paid for it in a service plan swap out, and still get the discount on the new TV I purchase. Now, I am far more of an audiophile than I am video guy, but I love the DLP technology. Not having to worry about burn in, viewing angles, or space would be a huge plus. However, picture quality is priority number one. I have been impressed with the HD source I've seen on it. The depth of the picture seems to be excellent, and the colors are vibrant. I briefly viewed some DVD material on it, and was impressed with the smoothness of the picture, and what seem like improved black detail over last year’s set.

My major concerns are two things. Number one the black level issues. While this year's model seems to me to be improved over last years, I still have some reservations about really being able to enjoy watching a darker movie like LOTR. I have not yet seen this set in a home viewing environment properly calibrated so I am looking for some owner input here. Number two, all sources are up converted to 720p. Does this improve the picture quality on DVD, or does it actually detract from the purity of the signal. Any extra processing or up conversion, from my experience results in some loss of detail or true signal integrity. I know the HLN5065W (the model I’m looking at), has the fl2300 chip in it, and should do a great job of scaling, but again looking for some user input here as to how DVD picture compares to CRT based RPHDTV.

On a side not, if I do decide from my observations and your comments to go with this set, because of the faroudja scalar being built in and up converting all signals anyway, would I want to send my DVDs into the television in progressive scan or would interlaced be better. And, if interlaced is the better choice, would a really good quality s-video cable be a better choice over component???

Sorry for all the questions, but I have a limited ability to view this model on the floor, and my next store does not carry this model. I don’t' really know of any retailer near by that has this set in a display environment that is conducive to making any real judgments. So I'm looking for as much owner input as I can get to make this short decision. Thank you all in advance.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
DVI input has been getting rave reviews here. The next best seems to be component 1. Progressive or non-progressive is a matter of the quality of your DVD player.

I would go with what ever DVD player I had until I could get one with DVD output at 720P.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.