AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
What do i think? I avoid reviews like this. They are obviously pointed towards non 3D lovers and skeptics.

Regarding the 3DS.....it was doomed from the beginning imo, just a quick cash in on the massively underdeveloped auto stereo process. Serves them right. Nintendo should have known better.

I love my 3D, and thats all that matters

·
Registered
875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtipvortex /forum/post/0

What do i think? I avoid reviews like this. They are obviously pointed towards non 3D lovers and skeptics.

Regarding the 3DS.....it was doomed from the beginning imo, just a quick cash in on the massively underdeveloped auto stereo process. Serves them right. Nintendo should have known better.

I love my 3D, and thats all that matters

Me too! I just wanna know that its here to stay

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I remember Dvorak grousing over the fact that cable companies were destined to be the service providers of broadband internet, saying that low tech couldn't provide high tech service. Well guess what....they hired qualified people for that purpose. I stopped reading that magazine after that article came out.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike /forum/post/20808312

Here is another doom and gloom opinion on the future of 3D. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2389316,00.asp

What do you guys think.

3D is not going to die. It is fairly cheap to implement for manufacturers, and someday all TV's will probably have the feature. You can choose to use it or not. Some will never accept it, but many will jump on board just like they did with HD. Five years ago, most people I knew had no desire for HD. Now they all own, and love, HDTV's. Technology always moves forward. A few naysayers certainly can't stop the train.

Art

·
Registered
875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne /forum/post/0

3D is not going to die. It is fairly cheap to implement for manufacturers, and someday all TV's will probably have the feature. You can choose to use it or not. Some will never accept it, but many will jump on board just like they did with HD. Five years ago, most people I knew had no desire for HD. Now they all own, and love, HDTV's. Technology always moves forward. A few naysayers certainly can't stop the train.

Art

I like that!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
This is the same magazine that once urged Apple to drop the iPhone as it would lead to ruin. Needless to say, they don't carry much clout these days.

The article is your typical one-sided, "I know what's best for you" piece of yellow-journalism that is becoming the norm on these online blogs.

I stopped reading this kind of trash long ago; I like to form my own opinions.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I wouldn't blame the failure of the 3DS on "3D". I would blame it on the fact that 1) the original price was $249, 2) they recently released the DSi and before that, 3) the DS Lite.... and on and on. No one in their right mind would plunk down that type of money for the "same 'ol same ol" even if the new device could do pseudo 3D. I quit using my DS Lite when I got a smart phone.

On the upside of this 3DS device, I just read that Netflix is supporting streaming to this device and includes some 3D movies >>> http://kotaku.com/5821151/netflix-hi...some-3d-movies

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the 3DS. It's going to do fine. Low sales were due to the fact the thing was overpriced. Once Nintendo's big games come out I expect a really good christmas season for them.

I was gonna buy it anyway but the fact that it's 3D is great because I'll take as much 3D as I can get. Big screen 3D blurays and portable 3D games, sign me up.

I also don't think 3D will catch on like HDTV, but I think there will always be a "3D section" at your local best buy. So I don't predict it going completely away like some of the haters appear to want so badly. 3D will just always be, "there".

·
Banned
1,338 Posts
3ds is a piece of ****. price is one issue..the 3d itself is just not good from what i saw in a store demo. You know those cardboard covers that come stacked upon the cases of certain 3d blu-ray discs, those which provide an illusion of depth..that's how i found the 3d effect on 3ds. Iow, it was meh. So much for the glassless 3d. And i can only wonder what sort of deteriorating effect would the 3d have when you take the device out in bright sunlight. you could play it indoors and not let the sunshine glare affect the "sub 3d" effect. But then what's the point of a handheld if you can't take it outside?

I'm not sold at all on the 3ds, price notwithstanding. If this is what autostereoscopic looks like then fudge it. Auto stereo still has a long way to go.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene2kx /forum/post/20819570

3ds is a piece of ****. price is one issue..the 3d itself is just not good from what i saw in a store demo. You know those cardboard covers that come stacked upon the cases of certain 3d blu-ray discs, those which provide an illusion of depth..that's how i found the 3d effect on 3ds. Iow, it was meh. So much for the glassless 3d. And i can only wonder what sort of deteriorating effect would the 3d have when you take the device out in bright sunlight. you could play it indoors and not let the sunshine glare affect the "sub 3d" effect. But then what's the point of a handheld if you can't take it outside?

I'm not sold at all on the 3ds, price notwithstanding. If this is what autostereoscopic looks like then fudge it. Auto stereo still has a long way to go.

Good glassless 3D is possible, and exists on a Fuji W3 camera display.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Art:

I agree with you that 3D isn't going to die.

The ATSC announced today that its now working on a 3D television transmission standard for both fixed and mobile device broadcast television services.

It's expected to take up to a year to complete.

Quote:

The new 3DTV broadcast standard is said to build on the extensive efforts over the last year by the ATSC 3DTV Planning Team and will allow:

3D content delivered on one ATSC terrestrial channel to fixed receivers, with delivery of both views (left and right eye) in real time.

3D content delivered on one ATSC terrestrial channel to mobile/handheld receivers, and delivery of both views in real-time.

3D delivered in non-real-time.

http://www.twice.com/article/472407-...n_3D_Broadcast Standard.php

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
I gotta admit, I'm kinda bored of 3d. I don't know if its the lack of "good" content or if I just don't care. Friends ask me what I think and I have to be honest and tell them they're not missing much.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
"The addition of 3DTV over-the-air TV broadcast transmission is part of our ongoing effort to expand the capabilities of the ATSC suite of digital television standards," Mark Richer, ATSC president, said in a statement. "The addition of 3DTV capability to the DTV broadcast standard will foster new broadcast services while preserving the integrity of legacy TV receivers by adopting a system that allows for simultaneous delivery of 2D HDTV, Mobile DTV and 3D programs within the same channel while ensuring backwards compatibility."
http://www.twice.com/article/472407-...t_Standard.php

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.