AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to check the clearance area in my local Office Depot. They had 4 packages of DVD-RAM discs selling for 5.00 for each package of 3 disks. Anytime I can find RAM for less than 2.00 per disc, I go for it. Lo and behold, when I got the discs home I found they were actually double sided discs. I'm heading for the other nearby O.D. tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was at a local Best Buy the other day, and I found 10 packs of Panasonic DVD-Ram discs on clearance for $4.99 per package(no joke!). Needless to say I bought all 4 packs that were left. I don't know if all Best Buy's are offering this, but it might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I was at my BB in Chicago on Friday and they were still $29.99 for 10 packs w/o cartridges. Clearance? Hmm. Maybe they aren't going to sell Ram discs any more. Or, there's a new generation of Ram discs coming on the market.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I chased those BB 10-pak RAM clearance sales all over my area. Turned out the BB computer inventory did not match what was on the shelf. Ten mile trips for nothing.

The Office Depot deal turned out to be a moving sale. The other OD's don't even know what DVD-RAM is.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Panny should flood the market with Ram.....with that investment you will be inclined to buy another Panny in the future.

I would be curious to know what it costs to manufacturer these discs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i can confirm that these are on clearance at the o.d. here in colorado also, but only for half price. 7.88 for 3 double sided rams isn't bad though. i saw them online for 8.99 but you have to pay to ship. if you want large qty's it could be a good deal.

chris

·
Registered
948 Posts
I also wonder what the fate of Ram sales as well as Panasonic DVD recorders sales would be if Panasonic had offered their Ram format with cartridge to the movie studios at cost or less for making commercial DVD's(or maybe they did). Were they as vain and short sighted as Sony(Beta) and Apple with their computers were.

Can't wait for round 3 between Blu ray and HD DVD.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I presume that lafester is referring to Office Depot's own 'brand' of DVD-RAMs.. since searching online shows them as $8.99 for 3 double sided with slim jewel cases.

If they're $7.88 in store, wow. Guess I'll stop by an Office Depot soon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack
I presume that lafester is referring to Office Depot's own 'brand' of DVD-RAMs.. since searching online shows them as $8.99 for 3 double sided with slim jewel cases.

isn't that what this thread is about? :)

yes, that is what i am referring to...

chris

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Davis
I also wonder what the fate of Ram sales as well as Panasonic DVD recorders sales would be if Panasonic had offered their Ram format with cartridge to the movie studios at cost or less for making commercial DVD's(or maybe they did).
Huh?

Why would a movie studio be interested in a more robust DVD technology? They want to sell you the cheapest and least durable product they can get away with. Economics 101.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafester
isn't that what this thread is about? :)

yes, that is what i am referring to...

chris
I see nothing in the original message stating that they're Office Depot brand. Some people (not me) care about specific brands.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since I started the thread, just to clarify, the discs I found at OD were OD brand, double sided RAM.

·
Registered
56 Posts
fyi, i checked another o.d. and theirs were still on the shelf for 15.99. i am going to keep checking since they must be discontinued. i suppose i could ask them why they are 8.99 online and 15.99 in store....

chris

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack

Does anyone have any experience with Office Depot's brand of DVD-RAM disks? I mean the price is right, but I'm not interested if they are crap.

Any opinions?

RG

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far, the O.D. discs have recorded OK. I have recorded about 6 sides worth of discs.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnycrest
So far, the O.D. discs have recorded OK. I have recorded about 6 sides worth of discs.
Thanks, I may pick up some. Can you tell who made them?

RG

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Do you know what speed they are?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Phantom- I'm well aware the studios are looking to keep their costs down. Who isn't. With the millions they buy I doubt it costs them that much then and probably less now. Reread my post. Mass production of Ram discs would bring down unit costs. I was just thinking out loud what would have happened had Panasonic had gotten the movie studios to use Ram cartridge discs for commercial movie sales and rentals. IMHO Panasonic hardware and disc sales would be up 3 or 4 times what it is today. People wouldn't have to worry about damaging the discs during handling. It would be easier for places like Blockbuster to sell used commercial movies as they would be in better shape.

Just like Sony Beta if Sony had the forseight to bring out two hour tapes and change their marketing strategy and license it to more manufactureres. Same with Apple. Their holier then thou attitude puts them third behind dash and plus discs as well as the machines to play and record them.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafester
3X.

it doesn't say who actually manufactures them.

chris
Does it say where it was manufactured -- Japan maybe?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.