AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have experienced my first problem with the HUGHES Model E-86 receiver.

The Tampa PBS digital station (WEDU) finally went to full time operation. They transmit OTA on Ch 54 and utilize virtual channel 3-1 et seq.

Subchannel 3-1 is a simulcast of the their analog signal; subchannel 3-2 is PBS KIDS in SD; and subchannel 3-5 is HD showing the PBS HD Demo Loop.

I can receive all three subchannels by manually using the key pad. I have placed 3-5 (HD) into "TURBOTUNE.

Now for the problem. I can bring up 3-5 with no problem. However, after about 90 seconds the receiver "defaults" to subchannel 3-2. I then go back to 3-5 and the receiver switches (after the 90 seconds) to 3-2 again.

I do not experience this problem with my Samsung T-165 or my Mits Integrated RP TV.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
We had a similar situation in Chicago. The database supplied to DirecTV for channel remapping needed to be fixed. I beleive somebody called Hughes to get the ball rolling but it is difficult to find who to contact. DirecTV, Hughes, and Zap2it are all reported to have a hand in the process. There has been some reported success from sending an email to [email protected] but I don't have personal experience with that process.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greywolf: I don't believe I understand your response. This is an OTA station I am talking about.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikey mo
Greywolf: I don't believe I understand your response. This is an OTA station I am talking about.
I understand. If you are using a dish, the program guide and channel mapping comes from a DirecTV database for OTA too. If OTA only with no dish, all the guide will show is regular programming. The E86 cannot read PSIP information. Here we had a situation where our local PBS station was in the database as a 480i transmission. They were showing some HD but we couldn't get it on Hughes built boxes. Keying in the major channel directly would bring it in for a few minutes but it would pop back. The database would override the transmitted information. That's why OTA locals don't come in right without a zipcode in the dish setup. The box has to know what local database to load.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.