AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been messing with the F38310 that I got for my parents...

When feeding it an anamorphic DVD through component input, I am surprised to see that the monitor detects it as a 4:3 source. I'm used to my plasma screen filling the screen automatically. With the F38310 I need to put the screen in "full" mode. Is this normal for this monitor, or is something amok?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by wdcoy
One thing you need to do is to go to you DVD machine's setup, verify that the it's set for 16:9.

Don
I did that, and it is. From the look of the picture, I can see that it is anamorphic-squeezed. Is the F38310 supposed to automatically expand that in "normal" mode? I'm sure that someone here watches DVDs on their F38310, no?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have two interlaced component DVD players -- they both show this behavior. As far as I understand it, the TV set does the scaling. By setting the player to "widescreen" it sends the full 4:3 squeezed frame which the set stretches to fill the 16:9 window. If you set the player to fullscreen, then it will squeeze the image vertically so that the aspect ratio is correct in the 4:3 frame.

Some players may stretch the video in interlaced mode; I'm not aware of which ones do.

In progressive video, you NEED a player which does scaling: The TV set "locks" into 16:9 mode. So if your TV sends an unzoomed letterboxed video or unstretched anamorphic frame, you are stuck. Generally players with the Gensis chipset perform scaling in progressive mode.

My players are the Curtis DVD 1030 and the (progressive scaling) Panasonic DVD RP91.

Joe

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DrJoe
I have two interlaced component DVD players -- they both show this behavior. As far as I understand it, the TV set does the scaling. By setting the player to "widescreen" it sends the full 4:3 squeezed frame which the set stretches to fill the 16:9 window. If you set the player to fullscreen, then it will squeeze the image vertically so that the aspect ratio is correct in the 4:3 frame.

Some players may stretch the video in interlaced mode; I'm not aware of which ones do.

In progressive video, you NEED a player which does scaling: The TV set "locks" into 16:9 mode. So if your TV sends an unzoomed letterboxed video or unstretched anamorphic frame, you are stuck. Generally players with the Gensis chipset perform scaling in progressive mode.

My players are the Curtis DVD 1030 and the (progressive scaling) Panasonic DVD RP91.

Joe
Ah, so the problem is that the DVD player is not progressive scan...the one I have at home is an RP91 as well. I'm still surprised that using component inputs it can't tell that it is supposed to be 16:9.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.