AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't waste your time asking if a plasma is a good gaming machine, as I believe plasmas are the best the HDTV flat-panel world has to offer not only for gaming, but for all-purpose video viewing.

So what I really want to know is if anyone has ever compiled or knows of some place or site where the input-lag (or display lag) for different displays is registered or talked about.

I think display manufacturers should be mandated (good luck with that, huh?) to include this technical specification (along with other things they don't like to share) among the rest of them, like resolution, power consumption, etc.

thoughts or panel recommendations (with lag info
) greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have never heard of a plasma suffering from too much lag while gaming. I believe that DLP is the one that has this problem.

I could be wrong of course.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you search around here, you can find a few threads talking about input lag. Some LCDs are apparently REALLY bad. Not sure about DLP, but the processing is probably similar to an LCD. New plasmas seem to be pretty good.

I haven't seen anyone try to compile a list. One issue is that there is not always a good standardized way to test it.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias99 /forum/post/14260467

If you search around here, you can find a few threads talking about input lag. Some LCDs are apparently REALLY bad. Not sure about DLP, but the processing is probably similar to an LCD. New plasmas seem to be pretty good.

I haven't seen anyone try to compile a list. One issue is that there is not always a good standardized way to test it.

DLP are generally the worst for lag. LCDs are much better than DLPs. I'm not sure that LCDs and plasmas are much different, overall. Personally I've never had any problem with lag on a plasma but then I'm not a Guitar Hero player.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
I have been playing Guitar Hero 3 a lot on my plasma (GH3 for the 360 over component) , and the in game lag test says there is no lag, I even set a few MS of lag in the game and ran the test, the game became unplayable by adding lag compensation (2 ms lag was added) so the default zero lag was just fine for my plasma. (42px75)

You should be just fine with input lag on a plasma.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There's a thread that I started a while back dealing with the subject. People came in and posted pictures of different displays hooked up to the same stop-watch feed showing the lag of each one individually. Try the search you'll find wonders.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/14260579

I have been playing Guitar Hero 3 a lot on my plasma (GH3 for the 360 over component) , and the in game lag test says there is no lag, I even set a few MS of lag in the game and ran the test, the game became unplayable by adding lag compensation (2 ms lag was added) so the default zero lag was just fine for my plasma. (42px75)

You should be just fine with input lag on a plasma.

Thanks, pendrag0on, and what plasma is that?

Also, 2ms lag is like pretty much nothing, in my experience you have to add around 30ms of lag before it becomes unplayable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerMo /forum/post/14260699

There's a thread that I started a while back dealing with the subject. People came in and posted pictures of different displays hooked up to the same stop-watch feed showing the lag of each one individually. Try the search you'll find wonders.

Don't know why, but I never seem to remember to use the search

Alltough in this case since I'm most interested in getting one of the new panasonics or a pioneer and they're just starting to be massively distributed I thought maybe there hadn't been enough time for there to already be a thread about them. Anyway, I found your thread, good info, thanks again.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/14260538

DLP are generally the worst for lag. LCDs are much better than DLPs. I'm not sure that LCDs and plasmas are much different, overall. Personally I've never had any problem with lag on a plasma but then I'm not a Guitar Hero player.

Direct-view LCD can be fast, but it seems like some of them (especially with lots of processing turned on) have issues. Nobody seems to have issues with new plasmas.

I wonder if maybe LCD projection would be similar to DLP? I'm not sure why DLP would be dramatically worse than LCD projection, unless maybe the whole 'color wheel' thing screws it up badly.

I'll definitely report on this when I get my 50PZ800U. I'm an avid GH/RB player, and I can even try the 'on-screen PC stopwatch compared with CRT monitor' trick (although I need a new digital camera for that.)

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neobunch /forum/post/14260824

Thanks, pendrag0on, and what plasma is that?

Also, 2ms lag is like pretty much nothing, in my experience you have to add around 30ms of lag before it becomes unplayable.

I know, I thought it would be nothing as well, but it completly threw off my timing (instead of hitting the note right when it was on the circle, I had to delay my strum to get it to hit)

It was a Panasonic 42px75, a 720p 2007 model.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias99 /forum/post/14260946

Direct-view LCD can be fast, but it seems like some of them (especially with lots of processing turned on) have issues. Nobody seems to have issues with new plasmas.

I wonder if maybe LCD projection would be similar to DLP? I'm not sure why DLP would be dramatically worse than LCD projection, unless maybe the whole 'color wheel' thing screws it up badly.

I'll definitely report on this when I get my 50PZ800U. I'm an avid GH/RB player, and I can even try the 'on-screen PC stopwatch compared with CRT monitor' trick (although I need a new digital camera for that.)

I think that DLP has lag problems due to the way the technology works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts