AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JX5 (May 2001) with very noticeable compression in the last few inches on either side (in "full" mode) when using the NTSC tuner or any video input including component. It is present, but to a much lesser degree, with satellite or OTA digital channels. Also, the "fill" mode overstretches the image about 14% vertically with the NTSC tuner and video inputs, but does not have this problem with the satellite tuner. RCA claims this is "normal" but I find it very annoying. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Welcome to AVS forum. As the happy owner of F-38310 for 1 trouble free year, RCA is correct your HDTV is running straight and normal.

Now to avoid 4:3 burn in don't use that format, if you read your manual you would have read, the grey bars are not always *active* and burn in was possible.

I have for 1 full year left in the middle of full format. I sit right in the middle of the set. If the DVD or program is in 4:3 after a while you will not see the stretch at all. If you move to the side you definatly will see the stretch. Stay right in the middle, I know a couple AVS forum members with a screen replacement burn in for watching a 'fool screen' 4:3 or 1.33:1 if your watching DVD fool screen images and it is *not* covered in the warranty. UncD2000 if you don't like it take it back right away.

The only time I ever use 'fill' is when I am watching a 2.66:1 OAR like Laurence Of Arabia 'full' image will be too tiny to watch, the 'fill' will raise the image to what a 2.35:1 image would be. Now if you had a giant set like some of these guy have for their home, then you could leave in full and see it in its OAR! :)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hob

Thanks for your suggestions. We bought our F38310s about the same time last year. The geometry problem is not due to seating position. I sit dead center at 60" distance (this is 3.2 times the picture height, which is said to be ideal for 1080i). The problem I have is quite noticeable with the Avia DVD using the Widescreen enhanced circle hatch pattern. The squares have irregular widths across the screen, with a sudden narrowing of about 14% at both right and left sides. The circles at the four corners are very noticeably distorted. (On my other widescreen TV, a 40" Samsung LCD RPTV that's over 3 years old, this test pattern is just about perfect).

The "fill" mode on our F38310s should stretch the picture by 1/3 both vertically and horizontally (my Samsung calls this mode Zoom 2). It enables the proper viewing of non-anamorphic DVDs (Evita and X-Files - Fight the Future are two that I have). "Fill" is also handy for widescreen TV shows like ER, The West Wing, and Enterprise. It should exactly fill the screen on these, but since my set stretches vertically about 49% in "fill", I lose 12% of the height of the image if I use it. Strangely, "fill" works properly with the satellite tuner! My F38310 is great with what I really got it for - HDTV from either the OTA tuner or from satellite - so I am happy with it overall; but this geometry problem is annoying, and I was hoping someone might have the answer. By the way, hob, I had the same experience you did with the RCA RC6000P DVD player. It doesn't show me any improvement, perhaps because the TVs built-in line doubler does just as well as it does, and the RC6000P doesn't have 3:2 pulldown. It does play CDs well though (including MP3s), and the price was right, although I guess we would have been better off with a couple hundred bucks off the TV. Hope you are enjoying Memorial Day.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I didn't read your response till today the 29th I have in Europe, mostly getting to be a member on Home Theatre message boards. Neat way for a cripple to say it, I never left my chair, but the language displayed was foreign. I opted for english some of the forums had that choice, it seems that all of Europe has the same message that the teens in the movie Hackers used "Hack The Planet" all wanting to be able to view R1 on their DVD player.

It was a nice rebate, that I found it hackable, nice of the Europeans. The RC6000P is on the same hack as the 5910,

now this is the Thompson DH-5910. I had so much trouble nobody had any hacks for RCA, but they had loads for the french maker that owns RCA and built our F-38310.

O/T I used to be a coin collecter I see your user name as Uncirculated Denver 2000, am I close, Denver being the mint mark of the Denver, Colorado facility. :)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to be a coin collector too, but actually UncD means Uncle David.

My final thoughts on the "edge compression" problem are that it is more of an item of interest than anything else. I didn't notice it at all yesterday while watching the Harry Potter DVD.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UncD2000

...but this geometry problem is annoying, and I was hoping someone might have the answer.
Have you made any progress? I am still hoping to solve the edge compression problem.

(PS we are down the street from one another, perhaps we can compare notes?)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gmichael

I cannot report any progress. I have only 9 days left on my RCA 1-year warranty (I have an extended warranty with CC, but they are no help). I am going to try Skokie TV again. They were out last June and said there were no service bulletins on this, and RCA tech support told them it was "normal." We'll see if they know any more now. One post on this website attributes this problem to sloppy assembly line procedures at the plant in Juarez. Since not all F38310s have geometric distortion, it is hard to believe that it is normal. Increasing the overscan is certainly not an acceptable idea. We want to see as much of the image as possible. The e edge compression problem is barely noticeable when displaying HDTV, whether from HBO HD, HDNet, CBS via cable channel 117, or ABC from OTA antenna. I don't want to mess this up by letting a technician try a computer alignment. This what CC thought might happen, but I don't know how believable this is.

I just called Skokie TV, and they say there is still nothing they can do.

The guy said Hitachi has the same problem, which suggests there may be something to my theory that the Hitachi circuit board which RCA used to remedy the video dropout problem in the F38310 (see my other post) may have introduced the geometric distortion. I plan to write to RCA (again) and express my displeasure. It is sad when a company has a top selling product even after more than two years of production and abandons it to another brand (Loewe) because they lack the corporate resolve to solve a

few problems. Consumer Reports ranks RCA (and the discontinued ProScan) as the most troublesome TVs. I guess they don't care.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.