AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already added this question to the official 8350 thread, so my apologies if the double post is a no-no ...

I'm a noob. Just got my 8350 to replace my 50" Samsung plasma. I'm completely amazed. This thing rocks. I've got a 95" screen for $1000 and it looks almost as good as a plasma ... and I'm projecting onto a light beige wall that I haven't painted properly yet.

Anyways, I need help. I'm going to paint the wall with Sherwin Williams Pro Classic Satin but I don't know if I should be adding a gray tint or just leave the paint without tint as per the recommendation at Projector Central [= http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm][/ ]. And then if I do add a gray tint ... What tint?!

My setup is as follows:

1. The projector is about 10' back from the screen and seating will be 11' from the screen ... or less when the kiddies are watching from the floor in front of the couch.

2. Ceiling is 7'7"

3. My screen will be roughly 95".

4. I have light control and I can and will be watching in the dark.

5. Room is 11' x 30', but the viewing section of the room is 11' x 13' and the seating and screen are setup on the short distance. So there is a 20' section of room on our right side, but it will be dark.

4. Left wall and back wall are light beige. Ceiling is white. So far, the light reflecting on the ceiling does not bother me. With the exception of the projector wall, painting these walls and ceiling are not an option ... My wife was kind enough to get let me get the projector ...

5. Screen wall will either be a dark redish/orange or brown outside the screen area.

6. So far I've been using the "Natural" and "cinema" colour settings.

7. I'll be adding a flat black MDF 2" border around the screen.

So should i add tint or just leave the Pro Classis paint untinted. If I should tint, which gray?

I've seen a few comments about Unique Gray, put the swatch looks kinda purple. Olympus White (SW 6253) and Lazy Gray ( SW 6254) both look to be more neutral, but I haven't seen any comments from people. The Unique Gray has an LRV of 59, while Olympus White is 68 and Lazy Gray is 54.

I also just came across a mention of the SW Gray Screen (SW 7071) tint which has an LRV of 59.

On related note - How do I determine what the tints will do to the gain?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stop the presses!

After a little reading I think I might roll a little RS-MaxxMudd LL v.2.

Unfortunately spraying is not an option.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee  /t/1418324/another-grey-versus-white-question-from-a-noob#post_22182866

Stop the presses!

After a little reading I think I might roll a little RS-MaxxMudd LL v.2.

Unfortunately spraying is not an option.

Well then, both the RS-MM-LL and the SW Pro Classic will roll on. You absolutely do want to go with a Gray Tint on the Screen

The 8350 needs some extra Contrast boosting that comes from having a gray surface, but not so much as you start overly attenuating the reflected light. So a light Gray is the way to go.

Your Screen is small. But that ceiling is gonna be crowding the top of the screen. I know you said it's reflections does not seem to bother you, so that in and of itself is a good thing, because of you do "go Gray" all your gonna experience is something that will look all the "Mo Bedder".

The real decision come down to considering choosing the following two paints:

1. Go with a light neutral Gray ad get whatever boost for blacks and gray-scale that a Gray can provide. maintaining the use of Normal lamp mode and Natural / Cinema modes.

2. Go with RS-MaxxMudd LL and be able to use Low lamp mode all the time, further improving Black levels, extending Lamp life, while maintaining a higher degree of image brightness that won't be possible with a standard neutral Gray.

While No.#1 will be the easiest, it only allows you so much performance, No.#2 can really ramp up the performance equation. Frankly speaking, unless you make a direct comparison between them, you'd almost assuredly be happy with the SW-NG with the 8350 and a small screen w/optimal PJ Throw.

.......but there is a quite noticeable difference to be had, so you should take that under consideration.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts