AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my RG6 cable to connect up the OTA antenna I'm putting up as soon as I get a decent weather day. I already bought a grounding block for the antenna lead, but when I opened up the box of RG6 cable I bought from Rat Shack, I found that it already has a built-in ground wire with a lead sticking out from it. I would think, in this case, I don't need the ground block and can just use the ground wire?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Typically those wires molded into the cable are steel and are meant to be used as a tension support when running the cable across a span. Ground wires should be copper to prevent corrosion.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Randy:

If you bought the RG-6 from Rat Shack, the ground wire is typically copper. Yes, you will still need the grounding block. The grounding block should have one (or two) coax-passthroughs, and a grounding screw underneath. Attach your RG-6 grounding wire to the grounding screw, your system ground to the grounding screw (typically a 12 gage wire to a copper-clad grounding stake), and the one or two satellite co-ax leads to one side of the grounding block, and attach the coax leads from the house to the other side.

------------------
BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.